All international candidates chosen for the study, research or training programs offered through Tufts University School of Medicine (TUSM) and its affiliated or training hospitals must have a valid United States visa. Visa applications are requested through the sponsoring department of the program you will be participating in. The Office of International Affairs (OIA) processes most visa requests.

Types of Visas

Click on the tabs below for details on the types of visa that will most likely be required for the TUSM position you are seeking.

Most international medical graduates come to the United States on a J-1 visa, though some positions require an H-1B visa. That determination is made, and communicated to applicants, by the hiring department of the TUSM affiliated or training hospital program.

How to Get a Visa

Where to apply: All visas are issued only in United States embassies and consulates outside the country, and require additional documentation, including evidence (such as a sponsor guarantee letter) that applicants are able to financially support themselves during their stay in America, and a personal interview. Additional visa requirements information is available on the U.S. Department of State Visas website.

Requirements for Clinical Care: Residents, fellows and research scholars who will be participating directly in clinical care must obtain a special type of J-1 visa. The J-1 Clinical Visa applicant must be sponsored either by a home-country government or institution, which must file a certificate of eligibility for the candidate; and they, together, must jointly fill out a Placement Plan form with the TUSM-affiliated or training program supervisor.

Waiting time for visas: The typical waiting time to receive a visa from various embassies and consulates is available on the U.S. Department of State website.  In some cases administrative processing can lengthen that time considerably, so visa applicants should plan ahead. When mailing necessary documents to the embassy or consulate, they also are advised to send them “return receipt requested.”

U.S. Government Registration Requirements

All international TUSM affiliated program participants applying for an F-1 or J-1 visa must be registered by the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and U.S. Department of State web-accessible database for ongoing monitoring of information about exchange visitors, international students and scholars. SEVIS registration is part of the visa application process and is completed by the Office of International Affairs. Visa applicants must pay the required SEVIS fee before securing an embassy appointment for their visa.

Additional information is available on the U.S. Visas website.