The Value of Supporting Faculty
Talented faculty members are the lifeblood of Tufts University School of Medicine (TUSM). Recruited from around the globe, they represent the best of their generation — the innovative scientists and compassionate physicians whose research and teaching shed light on disease and heal individuals and communities.
These are the people who make profound discoveries, catalyze change, and teach the next generation.
You can make their work possible.
An investment in Tufts faculty is:
- An act of faith in their dedication and ability to pursue the greatest good. By funding a professorship, you give a great faculty member the creative freedom to try a new approach to research or clinical care and develop bold ideas. You fuel the research that will discover answers to society’s most pressing questions. The cures that Tufts faculty devise, the technologies they create, the solutions they envision, the lives they transform will be as a direct result of you and your legacy.
- Helps create transformative learning experiences for our students. By providing students access to the best minds in their fields, you help tomorrow’s healers learn to address complex issues with compassion and superior technical skills. You prepare the next generation of physicians, scientists, and health-care professionals, giving them the academic foundation and clinical experiences they need to shape our shared future.
Help Us Attract & Retain Outstanding Faculty Members
Attracting and retaining outstanding faculty members so that their work reverberates through the lives of students at the School of Medicine and the Sackler School of Graduate Biomedical Sciences and into the world beyond requires substantial, ongoing investment from far-sighted philanthropists like you.
Whether endowed in perpetuity or underwritten for a period of years, professorships and faculty development funds are ideal naming opportunities, through which you may honor a loved one — or a current or former Tufts professor and mentor.
With your help we can fulfill our vision as a dynamic community of physicians, scientists, and health-care professionals who have a profound impact on our students and our world.
Your philanthropy could fund faculty like these:
- Junior professor in cancer research whose innovative lab moves us closer to a cure
- Dean of student affairs whose work transforms student life
- Professor in infectious disease whose scientific breakthroughs reduce suffering around the globe
- Professor of anatomical education who inspires students with the foundational course of their medical education
- Professor of population health who conducts research and educates students who will improve the health of communities near and far
- Professor who embodies the triple threat of excellence in teaching, research, and clinical work. This professorship could be awarded annually.
Establishing an Endowed Professorship
An endowed, named professorship is one of the greatest honors a scholar can receive. Such support and recognition bring enriching resources to bear on professors’ teaching and research, pay tribute to their achievement, and demonstrate a commitment to emerging knowledge.
By creating a professorship, your support brings to Tufts the very best senior faculty or rising stars. You also help keep such outstanding faculty members here for the long term — a critical achievement, since our top faculty are often pursued by other universities.
You can channel your philanthropy to professors with expertise in your area of interest. You can bring superior talent to Tufts to focus on particular problems or issues and spur advances in that field.
As a prized distinction, these professorships are an important factor in convincing accomplished scientists to choose a career at Tufts — and remain to deepen the intellectual experience for everyone who graduates from the School of Medicine.
Junior Professorship & Other Types of Faculty Support
You can help position Tufts faculty members for success by establishing a Junior or Faculty Development Professorship or a startup or research fund.
Through a faculty development professorship, you make it possible for the university to recruit and nurture talented young scholars to come and build promising careers at Tufts. By supporting startup funds and research funds, you allow the university to set up labs for leading-edge researchers and promote scientific discovery and fruitful collaboration.
Your philanthropy can accelerate these scientists’ pioneering work and enrich both Tufts and the broader community.
For more information on giving opportunities to recruit, support, and retain extraordinary faculty, please contact Rebecca Scott, Senior Director of Development & Alumni Relations at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617-636-2777.