TUSM Accessibility Services
In order to progress through Tufts University School of Medicine (TUSM), students must be able to comply with the TUSM technical standards, as well as all matriculation, promotion and graduation requirements. The Office of Student Affairs works with students to provide reasonable accommodations for students with documented disabilities covered under the ADA. For more information please reference Tufts University Office of Equal Opportunity.
In accordance with the TUSM policies and State and Federal regulations students with documented disabilities covered under the ADA are considered eligible for accommodation after completing the required paperwork and meeting with the Associate Director of Academic Support. All accommodations must be requested in writing by the student and must be pertinent to the student’s documented disability. Accommodations must not substantially alter the program, intent, process, nor be an administrative burden to execute for the parties involved.
The process of arriving at and implementing accommodations for a student entails:
- Submission of all documentation by the student and licensed professional at least four weeks prior to the beginning the academic year (or anytime when new chronic disability is documented, though “back accommodations” cannot be provided). Students requesting additional time on written exams must provide neuropsychological testing by a licensed professional within the past three years.
- Student's request for specific accommodations. Requests for accommodations must be timely, at least four weeks before the start of the next semester. (Academic Calendar)
- A meeting with the Associate Director of Academic Support
- A comprehensive review by the Associate Director of Academic Support. Requests for accommodations may be shared for review and approval by a consulting licensed professional in the relevant field.
- Approval and agreement of accommodations.
Forms (password protected):
Student Need Form
Student Request Form
Provider Verification Form
Student Release Form
Guidelines for USMLE Accommodation Request (Must be completed by October 15th of year two of medical school)