As one of the nation’s premier medical schools, Tufts University School of Medicine is dedicated to advancing biomedical knowledge and humane healing through innovative educational programs. Our rigorous curriculum, world-class faculty, state-of-the-art facilities, and hands-on experiences give students the training they need to become first-rate 21st century health care professionals.
Graduates of Tufts University School of Medicine (TUSM) go on to successful careers in clinical medicine, research, teaching, business, and public health. On our bustling health sciences campus, close to several of the world’s leading hospitals, students are immersed in a robust climate of individuals dedicated to research, clinical care, and global health.
Students at TUSM can pursue a medical degree, a doctoral degree in biomedical sciences, a master's in public health, and other professional degree programs, all of which train the best leaders in their fields. Or students can combine fields through a variety of unique joint degrees, including MD/PhD, MD/MPH, JD/MPH, MD/MBA, and others.
The MD program instills in students the highest standards of medical training and ethics. In our classrooms, students learn in a collegial atmosphere through an integrated, problem-based curriculum taught by active clinicians and researchers. Our graduates go on to outstanding residency programs and careers ranging from family medicine to highly specialized practices. Our combined MD degree programs have set the standard for many medical schools, and we are universally recognized for the excellence of our clinical faculty.
The doctoral program in biomedical sciences is offered at the Sackler Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences. The Sackler School brings together talented faculty and students to probe the mechanistic bases of disease in order to combat it. Our graduates excel in the complex world of biomedical science, advancing the field in the biotechnology industry, academic research, teaching, writing, and other science-based careers.
The Public Health and Professional Degree Programs offer masters degrees in public health, health communication, pain research, biomedical sciences, and several combined degree options. Students in these programs develop a keen understanding of the complex, population-based approach to health and develop successful careers in public health, medicine, business, law, international policy, and government.
On the cutting edge of health-related education, TUSM offers a pioneering curriculum in a collegial atmosphere. Regardless of the educational pathway you choose to pursue, you will benefit from Tufts’ unique educational philosophy, which is based around the following:
- Community Service/Active Citizenship: Active citizenship is a central philosophy across the University. TUSM creates a learning environment that helps shape leaders who build stronger communities and societies through community service.
- Supportive Atmosphere: We foster collaboration, not competition. Our faculty and administrators join with students in a cooperative community that encourages people to learn from each other.
- Multidisciplinary Approach: The solutions to the most pressing problems are often found at the intersections between disciplines. TUSM’s health sciences campus fosters multidisciplinary study in which experts from a range of fields work and learn together.
- Innovative Technology: Tufts University Sciences Knowledgebase (TUSK) is a comprehensive learning and online multimedia curricular management system that contains syllabi, lecture slides, virtual microscope, video streaming, links to journal articles, and other tools. Medical schools and health care institutions around the world have used TUSK as a model for their own online learning systems.
- Problem-based Learning: TUSM pioneered the concept of problem-based learning in medical school. Our faculty, most of whom are practicing researchers, clinicians, and professionals, provide real-world context for classroom content through research projects, group activities, case studies, guest lecturers, and one-on-one mentoring.