- What is the 5-day/ 2-day rule?
- 2 Business Days before the proposal is due to the agency – The Final Budget and related documents are due to Tufts ORA.
- 5 Business Days before the proposal is due to the agency – The Final, Complete Application is due to Tufts ORA.
From ORA’s website: “Failure to meet the five business day requirement means ORA cannot guarantee your application will make the agency’s submission deadline.”
- I've found a funding opportunity that I intend to apply for, what is the next step?
- Email Brenda McGinnis the announcement number and the submission due date
- Contact your Grant Administrator and set up a meeting to discuss the details, the budget, and the documents you will need to complete in order to submit the application.
- How soon do I need to contact my Grant Administrator?
Please contact Brenda McGinnis and your Grant Administrator as soon as you have made the decision to submit a proposal in response to a funding opportunity.
- Do you have a standard estimate for a base salary for BLANK position?
Yes, but we don’t share those online. Please contact your grant administrator.
- What do I need for my proposal to be complete?
The required components of a complete proposal vary from sponsor to sponsor; however, for a typical NIH R01, the basic documents needed would be:
- Grant Title (81 characters or less, including spaces)
- Biosketches for all Key Personnel
- Letters of Support from Consultants
- Budget spreadsheets
- Budget Justification
- Subcontract Documents, for each sub site:
- Budget Justification
- Letter of Intent
- Resources Document
- Project Narrative
- References / Bibiliography
- Research Plan
- Specific Aims
- Research Strategy
- Protection of Human Subjects
- Inclusion of Women & Minorities
- Targeted/Planned Enrollment
- Inclusion of Children
- What types of costs are not allowed as budget items or charges on grants?
Some of the most frequently budgeted items, which are not allowed on grants are:
- General Office Supplies
- Professional Association membership dues or Annual Meeting fees and expenses
For more information on Unallowable Costs, you can access the Tufts University Sponsored Programs Accounting website at: http://finance.tufts.edu/spa/allowable-and-unallowable-charges/