Professor of Public Health and Community Medicine
Tufts University School of Medicine
136 Harrison Avenue
Boston, MA 02111
Degrees: BA, MA, PhD
Institutions: Texas Tech University and Iowa State University.
*Has received honorary degrees from 22 universities and colleges.
- Professor and Chair of Anatomy, Tufts University School of Medicine 1964-72
- Associate Dean and Acting Dean, Tufts University School of Medicine, 1972-75
- Dean, Tufts University School of Medicine, 1975-1980
- President, Texas Tech University and the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, 1980-88
- United States Secretary of Education, 1988-1990. Dr. Cavazos was the first Hispanic in the history of the United States to be appointed to the Cabinet.
- Acting Chair, Department of Community Health, Tufts University School of Medicine, 1994-99
- Director of the Graduate Programs in Public Health, Tufts University School of Medicine, 1997-2000
Dr. Cavazos has worked in both the fields of medicine and education. He has been consultant to national and international health organizations including the World Health Organization and the Pan American Health Organization. He is author or co=author of approximately 90 publications on the physiology of reproduction, fine structure of cells and tissues, medical education and general education. More recent5ly Dr. Cavazos works at the national level to improve the education minorities receive so that they will be prepared to enter the health care professions.