Instructor of Public Health and Community Medicine
Research Project Manager, Kaiser Permanente Division of Research
Vaccine Study Center
1 Kaiser Plaza, 16th floor
Oakland, CA 94612
MS, Food Policy and Applied Nutrition, Tufts University Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy
MPH, Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Tufts University Department of Family Medicine
BA, Psychology and Religion, Northwestern University
Julia McDonald has a MS in Food Policy and Applied Nutrition from the Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy and a MPH in Epidemiology and Biostatistics from the Department of Public Health and Family Medicine at Tufts University School of Medicine. She recently accepted a position as Project Manager at the Vaccine Study Center at Kaiser Permanente in Northern California, where she will be directing research and analysis projects examining adverse events related to vaccines. Prior to working at Kaiser Permanente, Julia was a Project Manager at Harvard Pilgrim Health Care for 4 years, where she managed childhood obesity prevention intervention studies. Julia was involved in the formative research, intervention development, implementation and evaluation of programs including Parents and Tots Together and Health Habits, Happy Homes, both of which targeted low-income minority families with children ages 2-5 years to improve household routines, general parenting, and develop healthful behaviors around TV viewing, sleep, and diet. Julia has also worked with Dr. Virginia Chomitz at the Institute for Community Health, where they collaboratively led an evaluation of Shape Up Somerville and the Somerville Active Living by Design programs. Over the years in her different roles, Julia has precepted a number of students completing their ALE projects.
- Haines J, O’Brien A, McDonald J, Goldman RE, Schmidt ME, Price S, King S, Sherry BL Taveras EM. Television viewing and televisions in bedrooms: Perceptions of racial/ethnic minority parents of young children. J Child Fam Stud (in press).
- Chomitz V, McDonald J, Aske D, Arsenault L, Rioles N, Brukilacchio L, Hacker K, Cabral H. Evaluation of an active living intervention on physical activity in Somerville, MA. Am J Prev Med (in press).
- Taveras EM, McDonald J, O’Brien A, Haines J, Sherry BL, Bottino C, Troncoso K, Schmidt EM, Koziol R. Healthy Habits, Happy Homes: Methods and Baseline Data of a Randomized Controlled Trial to Improve Household Routines for Obesity Prevention. Prev Med 2012, doi: 10.1016/j.ypmed.2012.08.016.
- Schmidt ME, Haines J, O’Brien A, McDonald J, Price SN, Sherry BL, Taveras EM. Systematic Review of Effective Strategies for Reducing Screen Time Among Young Children. Obesity 2012 Jul;20(7):1338-1354.
- Dryden E, Hardin J, McDonald J, Taveras EM, Hacker K. Provider Perspectives on Electronic Decision Supports for Obesity Prevention. Clin Pediatr. 2012 May; 51 (5): 490-497.
- Haines J, Mayorga A, McDonald J, O’Brien A, Gross D, Taveras EM, Epee-Bounya A, Gillman MW. Embedding Weight-Related Messages within a General Parenting Program: Development and Evaluation of Parents and Tots Together. Early Child Dev Care. 2012;182(8):951-965.
- Price SN, McDonald J, Oken E, Haines J, Gillman MW, Taveras EM. Content Analysis of Motivational Counseling Calls Targeting Obesity-Related Behaviors Among Postpartum Women. Matern Child Health J. 2012 Feb; 16 (2): 439-47.
- Haines J, Ziyadeh NJ, Franko DL, McDonald J, Mond JM, Austin SB. Screening high school students for eating disorders: validity of brief behavioral and attitudinal measures. J Sch Hlth. 2011; 81: 530-535.
- McDonald J, Goldman R, O'Brien A, Ayash C, Mitchell K, Marshall R, Simon S, Taveras EM. Health Information Technology to Guide Pediatric Obesity Management. Clin Pediatr. 2011;50(6):543-549.
- Taveras EM, Blackburn K, Gillman MW, Haines J, McDonald J, Price SN, Oken E. First Steps for Mommy & Me: A pilot intervention to improve nutrition and physical activity behaviors of postpartum mothers and their infants. Matern Child Health J. 2011 Nov;15(8):1217-27.
- Chomitz V, Aske D, McDonald J, Cabral H, Hacker K. The role of recreational spaces in meeting physical activity recommendations among middle school students. J Phys Act Health. 2011 8(Supp 1), S8-S16.