Professor of Public Health and Community Medicine
Tufts University School of Medicine
136 Harrison Avenue
Boston, MA 02111
PhD, Harvard University
MS, Harvard University School of Public Health
Doug Brugge has a PhD in biology from Harvard University and an MS in industrial hygiene from the Harvard School of Public Health. He is a Professor in the Department of Public Health and Community Medicine at Tufts University School of Medicine. He has secondary appointments in Civil and Environmental Engineering, Biomedical Sciences and at the Jonathan M. Tisch College of Active Citizenship and Public Service. He directs the Community Assessment of Freeway Exposure and Health (CAFEH), a set of studies about ultrafine particles from traffic and their association with cardiovascular health risk (funded by NIEHS, NHLBI, EPA, HUD, and the Kresge Foundation). He also directs the Tufts Community Research Center (funded by Tisch College). Additional research has been on housing conditions and child asthma, second hand smoke exposure, asthma in Chinese and black immigrant communities, health communication, uranium mining in Native American and other populations, and research ethics. Most of his work uses a community-based participatory research approach. He has over 130 publications and has a deep commitment to seeing research translated into policy and practice.
- Patton AP, Collins C, Naumova EN, Zamore W, Brugge D, Durant JL. An hourly regression model for ultrafine particles in a near-highway urban area. Environmental Science and Technology (accepted).
- Panikkar B. Woodin M, Brugge D, Hyatt R, Community Partners of the Somerville Community Immigrant Worker Project and Gute DM. Characterizing the Low Wage Immigrant Workforce: A Comparative Analysis of the Health Disparities Among Selected Occupations in Somerville, Massachusetts. American Journal of Industrial Medicine (accepted).
- Dustov A, Mirojov G, Yakubova M, Umarov S, Ishankulova D, Eliasziw M, Brugge D. Uranium mine proximity, immune function and Helicobacter pylori infection in Tajikistan. Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, Part A: Current Issues 2013, 76:1261–1268.
- Lane KJ, Scammell MK, Levy JI, Fuller CH, Parambi R, Zamore W, Mwambri M, Brugge D. Positional error and time-activity patterns in near-highway proximity studies: An exposure misclassification analysis. Environmental Health 2013, 12:75.
- Brugge D, Lane K, Padró-Martínez LT, Stewart A, Hoesterey K, Weiss D, Wang DD, Levy JI, Patton AP, Zamore W, Mwamburi M. Highway proximity associated with cardiovascular disease risk: the influence of individual-level confounders and exposure misclassification. Environmental Health 2013, 12:84.
- Corlin L, Woodin M, Newhide D, Brown E, Diaz SV, Chi A, Brugge D. Asthma Associations in Children Attending a Museum of Science. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2013; 10, 4117-4131.
- Martinez LS, Perea F, Ursillo A, Weeks F, Goldstein-Gelb W, Brugge D. A Democratic University-Community Administrative Body Dedicated to Expanding Community Engaged Research: The Tufts Community Research Center (TCRC). Community Development. 2013; 44:97-110.
- Brugge D, Reisner E, Padró-Martínez LT, Zamore W, Owusu E, Durant JL. In-home air filtration for improving cardiovascular health: Lessons from a CBPR study in public housing. Progress in Community Health Partnerships: Research, Education, and Action. 2013; 7:49-56.
- Fuller CH, Brugge D, Williams PL, Mittleman MA, Lane K, Durant JL, Spengler JD. Indoor and outdoor measurements of particle number concentration in near-highway homes. Journal of Exposure Science and Environmental Epidemiology. 2013:1-7.
- Padró-Martínez LT, Allison P. Patton AP, Trull JB, Zamore W, Brugge D, Durant JL. Mobile monitoring of particle number concentration and other traffic-related air pollutants in a near-highway neighborhood over the course of a year. Atmospheric Environment. 2012; 61:253-264.
- Martinez LS, Ndulue UJ, Seller S, Gute DM, Brugge D, Peréa FC. All public health is local: Revisiting the importance of local sanitation through the eyes of youth. American Journal of Public Health 2012; 102:1058-1060.
- Rioux CL, Tucker KL, Mwamburi M, Gute DM, Cohen SA, Brugge D. Residential Traffic Exposure, Pulse Pressure and C-Reactive Protein: Consistency and Contrast Among Exposure Characterization Methods. Environmental Health Perspectives 2010; 118:803-811.
- Brugge D, Kapunan P, Babcock-Dunning L, Matloff R, Cagua-Koo D, Okoroh E, Salas F, Bradeen L, Woodin M. Developing methods to compare low-education community-based and university-based survey teams. Health Promotion Practice 2010, 11:645-653.
- Brugge D, Edgar T, George K, Heung J, Laws MB. Beyond literacy and numeracy in patient provider communication: Focus groups suggest roles for empowerment, provider attitude and language. BMC Public Health 2009, 9:354.
- Brugge D, Woodin W, Schuch TJ, Salas FL, Bennett A, Osgood N-D. Community level data suggest that asthma prevalence varies between US and foreign born black subpopulations. Journal of Asthma 2008, 45:785–789.
- Donroe J, Tincopa M, Gilman RH, Brugge D, Moore DAJ. Pedestrian road traffic injuries in urban Peruvian children and adolescents: Case control analyses of personal and environmental risk factors. PLoS ONE 2008, 3: e3166.
- Henkin S, Brugge D, Bermudez OI, Gao X. A case-control study of BMI and asthma in Asian children. Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology 2008, 100:447-451. PMID: 18517076
- deLemos JL, Bostick BC, Quicksall AN, Landis JD, George CC, Slagowski NL, Rock T, Brugge D, Lewis J, Durant JL. Rapid dissolution of soluble uranyl phases in arid, mine-impacted catchments near Church Rock, NM. Environmental Science & Technology 2008, 42:3951-3957.
- Levy JI, Brugge D, Peters JL, Clougherty JE, Saddler S. A community-based participatory research study of the efficacy of multifaceted in-home environmental interventions for pediatric asthmatics in public housing. Social Science & Medicine, 63:2191-2203, 2006.
- Repace JL, Hyde JN, Brugge D. Air pollution in Boston bars before and after a smoking ban. BMC Public Health, 6:266, 2006.
- Greenfield RO, Lee AC, Tang R, Brugge D. Screening for asthma in Cantonese-speaking immigrant children. BMC Public Health, 5:48, 2005.
- Brugge D, Vallarino J, Ascolillo L, Osgood N, Steinbach S, Spengler J. Comparison of multiple environmental factors for asthmatic children in public housing. Indoor Air, 13:18-27, 2003.