Professor of Public Health and Community Medicine
Tufts University School of Medicine
136 Harrison Avenue
Boston, MA 02111
PhD, Harvard University
MS, Harvard University School of Public Health
Doug Brugge, PhD, MS has a PhD in cellular and developmental biology from Harvard University and a MS in industrial hygiene from the Harvard School of Public Health. He is director of the NIH funded Community Assessment of Freeway Exposure and Health study, a 5-year community-based participatory research project. He also directs the Tufts Community Research Center and is part of the leadership for the community engagement core of the Clinical and Translational Science Institute. He has worked in community-collaborations with many neighborhoods of Boston, including Chinatown, and with Navajo communities in the Southwest. His research has largely employed the model of community-collaborative research and methodologically has involved focus groups, oral histories, surveys, environmental sampling and health outcome assessment. His research includes studies of asthma; of traffic-related pollution; of the impact of culture and language on health communication; the health impact of environmental tobacco smoke; motor vehicle related injuries; and the impact of uranium mining and processing on Native Americans. In 2007 he testified before the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform on uranium contamination in the Navajo Nation. He has published over 100 academic articles that include original research, reviews, policy and historical analysis. He is co-editor (with Esther Yazzie-Lewis and Timothy Benally) of The Navajo People and Uranium Mining (University of New Mexico Press, 2006) and an associate editor of the Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health.
- Brugge D, Reisner E, Padró-Martínez LT, Zamore W, Owusu E, Durant JL. In-home air filtration for improving cardiovascular health: Lessons from a CBPR study in public housing. Progress in Community Health Partnerships: Research, Education, and Action (accepted).
- Fuller CH, Brugge D, Williams PL, Mittleman MA, Lane K, Durant JL, Spengler JD. Indoor and outdoor measurements of particle number concentration in near-highway homes. Journal of Exposure Science And Environmental Epidemiology (accepted).
- Brugge D, Lane K, Stewart A, Tai A, Woodin M. Highway proximity associations with blood markers of inflammation: Evidence for a role for IL-1ß. Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, Part A (accepted).
- Martinez LS, Perea F, Ursillo A, Weeks F, Goldstein-Gelb W, Brugge D. A Democratic University-Community Administrative Body Dedicated to Expanding Community Engaged Research: The Tufts Community Research Center (TCRC). Community Development (accepted).
- Brugge D, Buchner V. Radium in the environment: exposure pathways and health effects. Reviews on Environmental Health. 2012; 27:1–17.
- Padró-Martínez LT, Allison P. Patton AP, Trull JB, Zamore W, Brugge D, Durant JL. Mobile monitoring of particle number concentration and other traffic-related air pollutants in a near-highway neighborhood over the course of a year. Atmospheric Environment. 2012; 61:253-264.
- Martinez LS, Ndulue UJ, Seller S, Gute DM, Brugge D, Peréa FC. All public health is local: Revisiting the importance of local sanitation through the eyes of youth. American Journal of Public Health 2012; 102:1058-1060.
- Henkin S, Tucker KL, Gao X, Falcon LM, Qawi I, Brugge D. Association of depression, psycho-social stress and acculturation with respiratory disease among Puerto Rican adults in Massachusetts. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health 2011, 13:214–223.
- Rioux CL, Tucker KL, Mwamburi M, Gute DM, Cohen SA, Brugge D. Residential Traffic Exposure, Pulse Pressure and C-Reactive Protein: Consistency and Contrast Among Exposure Characterization Methods. Environmental Health Perspectives 2010; 118:803-811.
- Donroe J, Gilman RH, Brugge D, Mwamburi M, Moore DAJ. Falls, poisonings, burns, and road traffic injuries in urban Peruvian children and adolescents: a Community based study. Injury Prevention 2009, 15: 390-396.
- DeLemos JL, Brugge D, Cajero M, Downs M, Durant JL, George CM, Henio-Adeky S, Nez T, Manning T, Rock T, Seschillie B, Shuey C, Lewis J. Development of Risk Maps to Minimize Uranium Exposures in the Navajo Churchrock Mining District. Environmental Health: A Global Access Science Source.
- Brugge D, Woodin W, Schuch TJ, Salas FL, Bennett A, Osgood N-D. Community level data suggest that asthma prevalence varies between US and foreign born black subpopulations. Journal of Asthma 2008, 45:785–789.
- Repace JL, Hyde JN, Brugge D. Air pollution in Boston bars before and after a smoking ban. BMC Public Health, 6:266, 2006.
- Levy JI, Brugge D, Peters JL, Clougherty JE, Saddler S. A community-based participatory research study of the efficacy of multifaceted in-home environmental interventions for pediatric asthmatics in public housing. Social Science & Medicine, 63:2191-2203, 2006.
- Brugge D, Vallarino J, Ascolillo L, Osgood N, Steinbach S, Spengler J. Comparison of multiple environmental factors for asthmatic children in public housing. Indoor Air, 13:18-27, 2003.