Professor of Public Health and Community Medicine
Tufts University School of Medicine
136 Harrison Avenue
Boston, MA 02111
PhD, Harvard University
MS, Harvard University School of Public Health
Doug Brugge has a PhD in biology from Harvard University and an MS in industrial hygiene from the Harvard School of Public Health. He is a Professor in the Department of Public Health and Community Medicine at Tufts University School of Medicine. He has secondary appointments in Civil and Environmental Engineering, Biomedical Sciences and at the Jonathan M. Tisch College of Active Citizenship and Public Service. He directs the Community Assessment of Freeway Exposure and Health (CAFEH), a set of studies about ultrafine particles from traffic and their association with cardiovascular health risk (funded by NIEHS, NHLBI, EPA, HUD, and the Kresge Foundation). He also directs the Tufts Community Research Center (funded by Tisch College). Additional research has been on housing conditions and child asthma, second hand smoke exposure, asthma in Chinese and black immigrant communities, health communication, uranium mining in Native American and other populations, and research ethics. Most of his work uses a community-based participatory research approach. He has over 130 publications and has a deep commitment to seeing research translated into policy and practice.
- Lane KJ, Levy JI, Scammell MK, Peters JL, Patton AP, Reisner, Lowe L, Durant JL, Zamore W, Brugge D. Association of modeled long-term individual exposure to ultrafine particles with inflammatory and coagulation biomarkers, Environment International, 2016, 92–93: 173–182.
- Patton AP, Zamore W, Naumova EN, Levy JI, Brugge D, Durant JL. Transferability and Generalizability of Regression Models of Ultrafine Particles in Urban Neighborhoods in the Boston Area. Environmental Science and Technology. 2015; 49:6051–6060.
- Laws MB, Yeh Y, Reisner E, Stone K, Wang T, Brugge D. Gender, ethnicity and environmental risk perception revisited: the importance of residential location. Journal of Community Health. 2015; 40:948–955.
- Brugge D, Patton AP, Bob A, Reisner E, Lowe L, Bright O-JM, Durant JL, Newman J, Zamore W. Developing policy and practice to reduce traffic-related air pollution exposure. Environmental Justice. 2015; 8:95-104.
- Padró-Martínez LT, Owusu E, Reisner E, Zamore W, Simon MC, Brown CA, Chung M, Mwamburi M, Brugge D, Durant JL. A randomized cross-over air filtration intervention trial for reducing cardiovascular health risks in residents of public housing near a highway, International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 2015, 12: 7814-7838.
- Fullerton SM, Anderson EE, Cowan K, Malen RC, Brugge D. Awareness of Federal Regulatory Mechanisms Relevant to Community-Engaged Research: Survey of Health Disparities-Oriented NIH-Funded Investigators. Journal of Empirical Research on Human Research Ethics, 2015; 10:13–21.
- Chung M, Wang DD, Rizzo AM, Gachette D, Delnord M, Parambi R, Kang C-M, Brugge D. Association of PNC, BC and PM2.5 measured at a central monitoring site with blood pressure in a predominantly near highway population. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2015, 12, 2765-2780.
- Fuller CF, Williams PL, Mittleman MA, Patton AP Spengler JD, Brugge D. Response of biomarkers of inflammation and coagulation to short-term changes in central site, local and predicted particle number concentrations. Annals of Epidemiology 2015, 25:505–511.
- Patton AP, Collins C, Naumova EN, Zamore W, Brugge D, Durant JL. An hourly regression model for ultrafine particles in a near-highway urban area. Environmental Science and Technology. 2014, 48:3272−3280.
- Panikkar B, Brugge D, Gute DM, Hyatt RR. “They See Us As Machines:” The Experience of Recent Immigrant Women in the Low Wage Informal Labor Sector. PLoS ONE, 10: e0142686. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0142686
- Dustov A, Mirojov G, Yakubova M, Umarov S, Ishankulova D, Eliasziw M, Brugge D. Uranium mine proximity, immune function and Helicobacter pylori infection in Tajikistan. Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, Part A: Current Issues 2013, 76:1261–1268.
- Lane KJ, Scammell MK, Levy JI, Fuller CH, Parambi R, Zamore W, Mwamburi M, Brugge D. Positional error and time-activity patterns in near-highway proximity studies: An exposure misclassification analysis. Environmental Health 2013, 12:75.
- Brugge D, Lane K, Padró-Martínez LT, Stewart A, Hoesterey K, Weiss D, Wang DD, Levy JI, Patton AP, Zamore W, Mwamburi M. Highway proximity associated with cardiovascular disease risk: the influence of individual-level confounders and exposure misclassification. Environmental Health 2013, 12:84.
- Martinez LS, Perea F, Ursillo A, Weeks F, Goldstein-Gelb W, Brugge D. A Democratic University-Community Administrative Body Dedicated to Expanding Community Engaged Research: The Tufts Community Research Center (TCRC). Community Development. 2013; 44:97-110.
- Martinez LS, Ndulue UJ, Seller S, Gute DM, Brugge D, Peréa FC. All public health is local: Revisiting the importance of local sanitation through the eyes of youth. American Journal of Public Health 2012; 102:1058-1060.
- Rioux CL, Tucker KL, Mwamburi M, Gute DM, Cohen SA, Brugge D. Residential Traffic Exposure, Pulse Pressure and C-Reactive Protein: Consistency and Contrast Among Exposure Characterization Methods. Environmental Health Perspectives 2010; 118:803-811.
- Brugge D, Kapunan P, Babcock-Dunning L, Matloff R, Cagua-Koo D, Okoroh E, Salas F, Bradeen L, Woodin M. Developing methods to compare low-education community-based and university-based survey teams. Health Promotion Practice 2010, 11:645-653.
- Brugge D, Edgar T, George K, Heung J, Laws MB. Beyond literacy and numeracy in patient provider communication: Focus groups suggest roles for empowerment, provider attitude and language. BMC Public Health 2009, 9:354.
- Brugge D, Woodin W, Schuch TJ, Salas FL, Bennett A, Osgood N-D. Community level data suggest that asthma prevalence varies between US and foreign born black subpopulations. Journal of Asthma 2008, 45:785–789.
- Donroe J, Tincopa M, Gilman RH, Brugge D, Moore DAJ. Pedestrian road traffic injuries in urban Peruvian children and adolescents: Case control analyses of personal and environmental risk factors. PLoS ONE 2008, 3: e3166.
- Henkin S, Brugge D, Bermudez OI, Gao X. A case-control study of BMI and asthma in Asian children. Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology 2008, 100:447-451. PMID: 18517076
- deLemos JL, Bostick BC, Quicksall AN, Landis JD, George CC, Slagowski NL, Rock T, Brugge D, Lewis J, Durant JL. Rapid dissolution of soluble uranyl phases in arid, mine-impacted catchments near Church Rock, NM. Environmental Science & Technology 2008, 42:3951-3957.
- Levy JI, Brugge D, Peters JL, Clougherty JE, Saddler S. A community-based participatory research study of the efficacy of multifaceted in-home environmental interventions for pediatric asthmatics in public housing. Social Science & Medicine, 63:2191-2203, 2006.
- Repace JL, Hyde JN, Brugge D. Air pollution in Boston bars before and after a smoking ban. BMC Public Health, 6:266, 2006.
- Greenfield RO, Lee AC, Tang R, Brugge D. Screening for asthma in Cantonese-speaking immigrant children. BMC Public Health, 5:48, 2005.
- Brugge D, Vallarino J, Ascolillo L, Osgood N, Steinbach S, Spengler J. Comparison of multiple environmental factors for asthmatic children in public housing. Indoor Air, 13:18-27, 2003.