Professor of Public Health and Community Medicine
Program Director, Pain, Research Education & Policy
Tufts University School of Medicine
136 Harrison Avenue, Ste 203
Boston, MA 02111
Degrees: MA, MD
Institution: Columbia University
- Clinical and translational pain research and related outcomes assessment
- Systematic reviews and guidelines for pain therapies
- Education about pain
- Shorten G, Carr DB, Harmon D, Puig MM, Browne J (eds). Postoperative Pain Management: An Evidence-Based Guide to Practice. Philadelphia: Saunders Elsevier, 2006.
- Eisenberg E, McNicol E, Carr DB. Opioids for neuropathic pain. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2006, Issue 3. Art. No.: CD006146. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD006146
- Cepeda MS, Carr DB. Clinical meaning of a decline in pain intensity in children and its implications in care and research. Pediatric Pain Letter. 2006;8(3):23-27.
- Carr DB, Harden RN (eds). Pain After Landmine Injury: Origins, Impact and Management. A guide to postamputation care. Pain Med. 2006;7 (Suppl 2):S189-S222.
- Cepeda MS, Carr DB, Sarquis T, Miranda N, Gardia RJ, Zarate C. Static magnetic therapy does not decrease pain or opioid requirements: A randomized double-blind trial. Anesth Analg. 2007;104:290-294.
- Christensen K, Rogers E, Green GA, Hamilton DA, Mermelstein F, Liao E, Wright C, Carr DB. Safety and efﬁcacy of intranasal ketamine for acute postoperative pain. Acute Pain. 2007;9:182-192.
- Cepeda MS, Carr DB, Cousins M. Fast Facts: Chronic Pain. Oxford: Health Press; 2007 White PF, Kehlet H, Neal JM, Schricker T, Carr DB, Carli F, and the Fast-track Surgery Study Group. The role of the anesthesiologist in fast-track surgery: From multimodal analgesia to perioperative medical care. Anesth Analg. 2007;104:1380-1396.
- Brennan F, Carr DB, Cousins MJ. Pain management: A fundamental human right. Anesth Analg. 2007;105:205-221.
- Stoker DG, Reber KR, Waltzman LS, Ernst C, Hamilton D, Gawarecki D, Mermelstein F, McNicol E, Wright IV C, Carr DB. Analgesic efficacy and safety of morphine-chitosan nasal solution in patients with moderate to severe pain following orthopedic surgery. Pain Med. 2008;9:3-12.
- Carr DB. When bad evidence happens to good treatments [Bonica Lecture]. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2008;33;229-240.
- Tzortzopoulou A, Cepeda M, Schumann R, Carr DB. Antifibrinolytic agents for reducing blood loss in scoliosis surgery in children. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews; 2008, Issue 1. Art. No.: CD006883. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD006883.
- Cepeda MS, Acevedo JC, Alvarez H, Miranda N, Cortes C, Carr DB. An N-of-1 trial as an aid to decision-making prior to implanting a permanent spinal cord stimulator. Pain Med. 2008;9:235-239
- McNicol E, Boyce DB, Schumann R, Carr D. Efficacy and safety of mu-opioid antagonists in the treatment of opioid-induced bowel dysfunction: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Pain Med. 2008;9:634-659
- Wittink HM, Carr DB (eds). Pain Management: Evidence, Outcomes and Quality of Life. St. Louis, MO: Elsevier; 2008.
- Christensen K, Cohen AE, Mermelstein FH, Hamilton DA, McNicol E, Babul N, Carr DB. The analgesic efficacy and safety of a novel intranasal morphine formulation (morphine plus chitosan), immediate release oral morphine, intravenous morphine, and placebo in a postsurgical dental pain model. Anesth Analg. 2008;107:2018-2024.
- Cepeda MS, Chapman CR, Miranda N, Sanchez R, Rodriguez CH, Restrepo AE, Ferrer LM, Linares RA Rene, Carr DB. Emotional disclosure through patient narrative may improve pain and well-being: Results of a randomized controlled trial in patients with cancer pain. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2008;35:623-631
- Cousins MJ, Bridenbaugh PO, Carr DB, Horlocker TT (eds). Cousins & Bridenbaugh's Neural Blockade In Clinical Anesthesia and Management of Pain, 4th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2009.
- Carr DB, Eidelman A. Clinical Study Design. Chapter 7 . In: Krames ES, Peckham PH, Rezai AR (eds). Textbook of Neuromodulation. Oxford: Blackwell Publishing; 2009.
- Schumann R, Jones SB, Cooper B, Kelley SD, Bosch MV, Ortiz VE, Connor KA, Kaufman MD, Harvey AM, Carr DB. Update on best practice recommendations for anesthetic perioperative care and pain management in weight loss surgery, 2004–2007. Obesity. 2009;17:889-894.
- Carr D. What does pain hurt? Pain: Clinical Updates. 2009;18 (3):1-6.
- Cousins MJ, Carr DB. Foreword. In: Macintyre PE, Schug SA, Scott DA, Visser EJ, Walker SM; Working Group of the Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists and Faculty of Pain Medicine. Acute Pain Management: Scientific Evidence, 3rd ed. ANZCA & FPM, Melbourne, 2010.
- Bauer KA, Gerson W, Ruais K, Wang J, McNicol E, Lanier RK, Kramer W, Carr DB. Platelet function following administration of a novel formulation of intravenous diclofenac sodium versus active comparators: a randomized, single dose, crossover study in healthy male volunteers. J Clin Anesthesia. 2010; 22:510-518.
- Carr DB. Foreward. In: RA Porche Jr (ed). Approaches to Pain Management: An Essential Guide for Clinical Leaders. Second edition. Oak Brook, IL: Joint Commission Resources; 2010: v-vi.
- Carr DB. Twenty-first century pain education: the rediscovery of compassion. Pain Med. 2011; 12: 183-185
- Christensen K, Daniels S, Bandy D, Ernst CC, Hamilton DA, Mermelstein FH, Wang J, Carr DB. A double-blind placebo-controlled comparison of a novel formulation of intravenous diclofenac for postoperative third molar extraction pain. Anesthesia Progress. In press.