Associate Professor of Public Health and Community Medicine
PhD, Tufts University
MPH, Boston University
My teaching area is in systematic review to inform public health policy and practice, and applied meta-analysis methods in public health.
I have long-standing research interests in advancing evidence synthesis methods (e.g., systematic review, meta-analysis, decision analysis) with a special focus on nutrition epidemiology and nutrition-related chronic diseases. My current research focuses are on applying and advancing systematic review and meta-analytical methods to inform and support development of evidence-based dietary guidelines and nutrient reference values (e.g. Dietary Reference Intake values [DRIs]). I am also interested in the research area of engaging stakeholders in research, as well as collaborative research to perform policy impact analyses or data analyses to support public health nutrition policy decision-making.
My current research areas can be broadly categorized into three related fields:
- Evidence Synthesis
Most of my publications reflect evidence generation and synthesis to inform policy and clinical guideline developments across diverse health questions. Because of my long-standing interests in nutrition science and policy, I led and published several evidence reports and associated publications that have impacted public health nutrition policy, and Medicare/Medicaid or Affordable Care Act coverage decisions.
- Methodological Studies to Advance the Role of Evidence Synthesis in Nutrition Research and Applications
The medical and clinical communities have effectively used systematic reviews to develop clinical and practice guidelines, set research agendas, and develop scientific consensus statements. However, the use of systematic reviews in nutrition applications is more recent and limited. In addition to leading or co-leading evidence reports on a range of nutrition-related topics including omega-3 fatty acids, B-vitamins, berries, soy protein and isoflavones, and vitamin D and calcium, I also played a lead role in a series of methodological research to advance the understanding of the challenges involved in conducting nutrition-related systematic reviews and in integrating these reviews with nutrition applications. Among these, the most notable work was the creation of an analytical framework for synthesizing nutritional evidence to set DRIs. More recently, I have conducted a series of studies to integrate an evidence mapping with a structured research prioritization framework with input from a diverse stakeholder panel in hope to promote knowledge translation from nutrition science to policy.
c. Epidemiological Studies on Chronic Diseases
I have a broad range of interests in epidemiological studies relating diet/nutrition or other lifestyle factors to chronic disease and conditions, such as cardiovascular diseases, metabolic syndrome, and obesity.
- Chung M, Tang AM, Fu Z, Wang DD, Newberry SJ. Calcium intake and cardiovascular disease risk: An updated systematic review and meta-analysis. Ann Intern Med. 2016; 165(12):856-866.
- Chung M, Wang DD, Archer E, Higgins J, Kim S, Laughlin M, Qi Lu, Raatz S, Siegel RD, Slavin J, Steffen D, Warshaw H, Tang AM. Research needs and prioritizations for studies linking dietary sugars and potentially related health outcomes. BMC Nutrition. 2016;2(1):66.
- Wang DD, Shams-White M, Bright OJ, Parrott JS, Chung M. Creating a Literature Database of Low-calorie Sweeteners and Health Studies: Evidence Mapping. BMC Medical Research Methodology. BMC Med Res Methodol. 2016 Jan 5;16(1):1. PMID: 26728979. PMCID: PMC4700619
- Tang A, Quick T, Chung M, Wanke C. Nutrition assessment, counseling, and support interventions to improve health-related outcomes in people living with HIV/AIDS: A systematic review of the literature. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2015 April 68;3:S340-349. PMID:25768873
- Chung M, Wang DD, Rizzo AM, Gachette D, Delnord M, Parambi R, Kang CM, Brugge D. Association of PNC, BC, and PM2.5 Measured at a Central Monitoring Site with Blood Pressure in a Predominantly Near Highway Population. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2015 Mar 3;12(3):2765-80. doi: 10.3390/ijerph120302765. PubMed PMID: 25741638
- Chung M, Ma J, Patel K, Berger S, Lau J, Lichtenstein AH. Fructose, high-fructose corn syrup, sucrose, and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease or indexes of liver health: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Clin Nutr. 2014 Sept:100(3):833-49. Epub2014 Aug 6. PMID: 25099546; PMCID: PMC4135494
- Morgan N, Irwin MR, Chung M, Wang C. The effects of mind-body therapies on the immune system: meta-analysis. PLoS One. 2014 Jul 2;9(7):e100903. PMID: 24988414. PMCID: PMC4079606
- Finn KL, Chung M, Rothpletz-Puglia P, Byham-Gray L. Impact of Providing a Combination Lipid Emulsion Compared with a Standard Soybean Oil Lipid Emulsion in Children Receiving Parenteral Nutrition: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 2014 [published online before print July 23]
- Yahia N, Brown C, Rapley M, Chung M. Assessment of college students’ awareness and knowledge about conditions relevant to metabolic syndrome. Diabetology & Metabolic Syndrome 2014, 6:111. PMID: 25360161 PMCID: PMC4213528
- Vishwanathan R, Chung M, Johnson EJ. A systematic review on zinc for the prevention and treatment of age-related macular degeneration. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2013 Jun 12;54(6):3985-98. doi: 10.1167/iovs.12-11552. PubMed PMID: 23652490
- Chung M, Newberry SJ, Ansari MT, Yu WW, Wu H, Lee J, Suttorp M, Gaylor JM, Motala A, Moher D, Balk EM, Shekelle PG. Two methods provide similar signals for the need to update systematic reviews. J Clin Epidemiol. 2012 Jun;65(6):660-8.doi: 10.1016/j.jclinepi.2011.12.004. Epub 2012 Mar 29. PubMed PMID: 22464414
- Chung M, Lee J, Terasawa T, Lau J, Trikalinos TA. Vitamin D with or without calcium supplementation for prevention of cancer and fractures: an updated meta-analysis for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Ann Intern Med. 2011 Dec 20;155(12):827-38. doi: 10.7326/0003-4819-155-12-201112200-00005. PubMed PMID: 22184690
- Chung M, Balk EM, Ip S, Lee J, Terasawa T, Raman G, Trikalinos T, Lichtenstein AH, Lau J. Systematic review to support the development of nutrient reference intake values: challenges and solutions. Am J Clin Nutr. 2010 Aug;92(2):273-6. doi: 10.3945/ajcn.2009.29092. Epub 2010 May 26. PubMed PMID: 20504974; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2904030
- Chung M, Lichtenstein AH, Ip S, Lau J, Balk EM. Comparability of methods for LDL subfraction determination: A systematic review. Atherosclerosis. 2009 Aug;205(2):342-8. doi: 10.1016/j.atherosclerosis.2008.12.011. Epub 2008 Dec 14. PubMed PMID: 19162266
- Chung M, Balk EM, Ip S, Raman G, Yu WW, Trikalinos TA, Lichtenstein AH, Yetley EA, Lau J. Reporting of systematic reviews of micronutrients and health: a critical appraisal. Am J Clin Nutr. 2009 Apr:89(4):1099-113. doi:10.3945/ajcn.2008.26821. Epub 2009 Feb 25. PubMed PMID: 19244363; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2667458
- Russell R, Chung M, Balk EM, Atkinson S, Giovannucci EL, Ip S, Lichtenstein AH, Mayne ST, Raman G, Ross AC, Trikalinos TA, West KP Jr, Lau J. Opportunities and challenges in conducting systematic reviews to support the development of nutrient reference values: vitamin A as an example. Am J Clin Nutr. 2009 Mar;89(3):728-33. doi: 10.3945/ajcn.2008.27154. Epub 2009 Jan 28. PubMed PMID: 19176732; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2667653
Chung M, Raman G, Trikalinos T, Lau J, Ip S. Interventions in primary care to promote breastfeeding: an evidence review for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Ann Intern Med. 2008 Oct 21;149(8):565-82. PubMed PMID: 18936504