Jeffrey Griffiths, AB, MD, MPH&TM
Professor of Public Health and Community Medicine
Adjunct Professor, Friedman School of Nutrition
Adjunct Professor, School of Engineering
Tufts University School of Medicine
136 Harrison Avenue
Boston, MA 02111
Degrees: AB, MD, MPH&TM
Institutions: Harvard College, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Tulane University School of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene
- The human, animal, and environmental epidemiology of the emerging pathogen Cryptosporidium;
- Development of an ultrastable measles vaccine for use where there are is no refrigeration or during emergencies;
- the influence of malnutrition and environmental factors, such as air pollution and heavy metals, on common infectious diseases such as diarrhea and pneumonia.
- Dr. Griffiths has a long interest in waterborne diseases, ranging from research on the biology of the pathogens to their epidemiology and to public policy and regulation.
Senate testimony on the Oversight Hearing on Federal Drinking Water Programs, December 2009
Senate testimony on the provision of clean water to US Troops in Iraq, April 2006
- Mor, S.M., DeMaria A., Jr., Griffiths, JK, Naumova EN. 2009. Cryptosporidiosis in the US Elderly. Clinical Infectious Diseases, in press.
- Muchiri JM, Ascolillo L, Mugambi M, Mutwiri T, Ward HD, Naumova EN, Egorov AI, Cohen S, Else JG, Griffiths JK. Seasonality of Cryptosporidium oocyst detection in surface waters of Meru, Kenya as determined by two isolation methods followed by PCR. J Water Health. 2009;7(1):67-75.
- Brachtl MV, Durant JL, Paez C., Oviedo J, Sempértegui F, Naumova EN, Griffiths JK. 2009. Spatial and temporal variations and mobile source emissions of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in Quito, Ecuador. Environmental Pollution 157:528-536
- Olewe, TM, Mwanthi, MA, Wang’ombe JK, Griffiths JK. 2008. Evaluation of a Portable Blood Lead Analyzer as an Alternative to Graphite Furnace Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometer. J Applied Biosciences 10:483-487
- Griffiths, JK. 2008. [Section Editor, Communicable Diseases with Davidson Hamer]. Waterborne Diseases. In: Elsevier International Encyclopedia of Public Health, 7th edition. volume 6, 551-563
- Naumova EN, Jagai JS, Matyas B, DeMaria A Jr., MacNeill IB, Griffiths JK. 2007. Seasonality in Six Enterically Transmitted Diseases and Ambient Temperature. Infection and Immunity 135:281-292.
- Mathiu, M. and Griffiths, JK. 2006. Curriculum Co-Development in Public and Ecosystem Health: An East African Network. Proceedings of the Tenth African Health Information and Librarians Association (AHILA).
- Naumova EN, Egorov AI, Morris RD, Griffiths JK. The elderly are a sensitive subpopulation for waterborne Cryptosporidium infection: hospitalizations for gastroenteritis in the elderly before and during the 1993 Milwaukee cryptosporidiosis outbreak. Emerging Infectious Diseases. 2003. 9(4):418-25.
- Classifying Drinking Water Contaminants for Regulatory Consideration. 2001. Committee on Drinking Water Contaminants, Water Science and Technology Board, National Research Council of the National Academies of the USA. National Academy Press, Washington DC.
- Sempertegui F, Estrella E, Camaniero V, Betancourt V, Izurieta R, Ortiz W, Fiallo E, Torres G, Torres D, Toapanta F, Rodrigtuez A, Calchorrano D, Griffiths JK. (1999). Weekly low-dose Vitamin A supplements prevent lower-respiratory tract infections in malnourished Ecuadorian children. Pediatrics http://www.pediatrics.org /cgi/reprint/ 104/1/e1.pdf
- Morris R, Naumova E, Griffiths JK. (1998). Did Milwaukee experience waterborne cryptosporidiosis prior to the large documented outbreak in 1993? Epidemiology 9:264-270.
- Griffiths JK. (1998). Human cryptosporidiosis: Epidemiology, transmission, clinical disease, and diagnosis. In: Emerging Human Enteric Protozoan Infections. Ed: Saul Tzipori. Advances in Parasitology, 40:37-85. Academic Press, London.