Associate Professor of Public Health and Community Medicine
Tufts University School of Medicine
136 Harrison Avenue
Boston, MA 02111
Degrees: PhD, MS
Institutions: Brown University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
My research is focused on the social determinants of health and well-being and factors related to the emergence and persistence of disparity in health outcomes within vulnerable populations. Current projects include a study of immigrant occupational health, obesity in new immigrant populations, school and community-based interventions that address the emerging problem of childhood obesity – particularly in rural areas, the effects of parental disability on healthy children, defining and measuring stress at the neighborhood level, and the effects of globalization on population health and well-being. I teach graduate-level biostatistics and qualitative research courses in the MPH program at Tufts Medical School, and an undergraduate senior seminar on Globalization and Health in the Community Health Program at Tufts.
Research with Vulnerable Populations includes:
- New and existing U.S. immigrants
- Boston, MA Puerto Ricans with diabetes
- Somerville, MA Haitian, El Salvadorian and African American workers
- Somerville and Lowell, MA Brazilian workers
- Haitian, El Salvadorian, and African American teens in MA.
- Urban and Rural children and families in the U.S.
- Elder adults in MA and the U.S.
- Parents with a disability
- Hennessy Erin, Sheryl O. Hughes, Jeanne P. Goldberg, Raymond R. Hyatt, Christina D. Economos, 2010. “Parent behavior and child weight status among a diverse group of underserved rural families.” Appetite, 54(2): 369-377.
- Sequin Rebecca A, Economos Christina, Palombo Ruth, Hyatt Raymond, Kuder Julia, Nelson, Miriam, 2010. “Strength Training and Older Women: A Case Study Examining Factors Related to Exercise Adherence in a Nationally Disseminated Community Program.” Journal of Aging and Physical Activity, 18(2): 201-218.
- Hyatt Raymond R, David Gute, Helen Page, Alex Pirie, Ismael Vasquez, Franklin Delembert, 2009. “Transferring Knowledge About Human Subjects Protection and the Role of Institutional Review Boards in a Community-Based Participatory Research Project.” Journal of the American Public Health Association, 99(11s), forthcoming.
- Yousefian Anush, Erin Hennessy, Renee Umstattd, Christina D Economos, Jeffrey S Hallam, Raymond R Hyatt, David Hartley, 2009. “Development of the Rural Active Living Assessment Tools: Measuring Rural Environments.” Preventive Medicine, forthcoming.
- Alison Tovar, Aviva Must, Odilia I. Bermudez, Raymond R. Hyatt and Lisa Chasan-Taber, 2009. “Knowledge, Attitudes, and Beliefs Regarding Weight Gain during Pregnancy among Hispanic Women.” Maternal and Child Health, DOI 10.1007/s10995-009-0524-8
- Cheatham RA, Roberts SB, Das SK, Gilhooly CH, Golden JK, Hyatt R, Lerner D, Saltzman E, Lieberman HR, 2009. “Long-term effects of provided low and high glycemic load low energy diets on mood and cognition.” Physiology and Behavior, forthcoming.
- Sequin Rebecca A, Economos Christina, Palombo Ruth, Hyatt Raymond, Kuder Julia, Nelson, Miriam, 2009. “Strength Training and Older Women: A Case Study Examining Factors Related to Exercise Adherence in a Nationally Disseminated Community Program.” Journal of Aging and Physical Activity, forthcoming.
- Alison Tovar, Aviva Must, Odilia I. Bermudez, Raymond R. Hyatt and Lisa Chasan-Taber, 2009. “The Impact of Gestational Weight Gain and Diet on Abnormal Glucose Tolerance During Pregnancy in Hispanic Women.” Maternal and Child Health, 13(4):520-530.
- Seguin Rebecca A, Palombo Ruth, Economos Christina, Hyatt Raymond, Kuder Julia, Nelson Miriam, 2008. “Factors related to leader implementation of a nationally disseminated community-based exercise program: a cross-sectional study.” International Journal for Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity 5:62.
- Kennedy E, Racsa P, Dallal G, Lichtenstein AH, Goldberg J, Jacques P, Hyatt R, 2008. “Alternative approaches to the calculation of nutrient density.” Nutr Review 66(12):703-709.
- Economos, Christina, Jennifer Sacheck, Kenneth Chui, Laura Irizzary, Juliette Guillemont, Jessica Collins, Raymond R Hyatt, 2008. “School-Based Behavioral Assessment Tools Are Reliable and Valid for Measurement of Fruit and Vegetable Intake, Physical Activity, and Television Viewing in Young Children.” J of the American Dietetic Assn., 108(4):695-701.
- Seguin RA, Economos CD, Hyatt R, Palombo R, Reed PNT, Nelson ME, 2008. “Design and national dissemination of the Strong Women Community Strength Training Program.” Preventing Chronic Disease, 2008:5(1).
- Economos Christina, M. L. Hildebrandt, Raymond R. Hyatt, 2008. “College Freshman Stress and Weight Change: Differences by Gender.” Am J of Health Behavior, 32(1):16-25.
- Hyatt, Raymond R. 2007. “The social cost of security: The case of military spending and public health” in Globalization and Health, edited by Sarah Wamala and Ichiro Kawachi. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Marcotte Lori, Erin Hennessy, Johanna Dwyer, Raymond R Hyatt, Jeanne P Goldberg, Elena Naumova, and Christina D Economos, 2007. “Validity and reliability of a calcium checklist in early elementary school children.” Public Health Nutrition 11(1):57-64.
- Economos Christina, Raymond R. Hyatt, Aviva Must, Jeanne Goldberg, Jessica Collins, Elena Naumova, Miriam Nelson, 2007. “A community-based environmental change intervention reduces BMI z-score in children in Somerville, MA.” Obesity 15:(5).
- Sara C. Folta, Jeanne P. Goldberg, Christina Economos, Rick Bell, Stewart Landers, Raymond Hyatt. 2006. “Assessing the Use of School Public Address (PA) Systems to Deliver Nutrition Messages to Children: Shape Up Somerville – Audio Adventures.” Journal of School Health, 76(9):459-464.
- Hyatt, Raymond R. and Susan M. Allen. 2005. “Disability as a Family Affair; Parental Disability and Childhood Immunization.” Medical Care 43:600-606.
- Pierce, Glenn, Anthony Braga, Raymond R. Hyatt, and Christopher Koper. 2004. “The Characteristics and Dynamics Of Illegal Firearms Markets: Implications For A Supply-Side Enforcement Strategy.” Justice Quarterly 21:185-216.
- Angelelli, Joseph, Mary L. Fennell, Raymond R. Hyatt, and Joyce McKenney. 2003. “Linkages in the Rural Continuum: the Balanced Budget Act and Beyond” Gerontologist 43:151-157.
- Rhodes, William, Raymond R. Hyatt, and Paul Scheiman. 1996. “Predicting Pretrial Misconduct with Drug Tests of Arrestees: Evidence from Eight Settings.” Journal of Quantitative Criminology 12:315-348.
- Rhodes William, Hyatt Raymond R., Scheiman Paul, 1996. “Predicting Pretrial Misconduct with Drug Tests of Arrestees: Evidence from Six Sites.” U.S. Department of Justice Programs, National Institute of Justice, HV 7231 .R48, Washington, DC.
- Hyatt, Raymond R. and William Rhodes. 1995. “The Price and Purity of Cocaine: The Relationship to Emergency Room Visits and Death, and to Drug Use among Arrestees.” Statistics in Medicine 14:655-668.
- Rhodes, William, Raymond R. Hyatt, Scheiman, P. 1994. “The Price of Cocaine, Heroin, and Marijuana, 1981-1993.” Journal of Drug Issues 24:383-402.
- Rhodes, William, Raymond R. Hyatt, and Paul Scheiman. 1992. “The Price and Purity of Cocaine.” United States Federal White Paper. Washington, DC: The White House.