Clinical Associate Professor of Public Health and Community Medicine
Director, Physician Assistant Program, Tufts University School of Medicine
Assistant Professor of Surgery (secondary)
Senior Physician Assistant, Tufts Medical Center
Tufts University School of Medicine
Physician Assistant Program
M&V Suite 207
136 Harrison Avenue
Boston, MA 02111
Degrees: AB, PA, MBA
Institutions: Fairfield University, Northeastern University
Electrocardiography, critical care medicine, physical diagnosis, anatomy, professional practice
Risk aversion, quality assurance, surgical treatment of acute & chronic heart failure
1. Murphy RE, Connolly RJ, Harris BH: Pediatric emergency procedures- A laboratory exercise. Journal of Trauma Nov. 1985.
2. Murphy RE: "Case Studies" in Harris BH (ed): Progress in Pediatric Trauma. Boston: Nobb Hill Press, 1985.
3. Murphy RE: Pediatric trauma: Emergency room management. Physician Assistant 1986; 9:16-36.
4. Murphy RE: Pediatric trauma: Development of an emergency care system. Physician Assistant 1986; 10:29-38.
5. Harris BH, Latchaw LA, Murphy RE: The crucial hour. Pediatric Annals 1987; 16:301-304.
6. Murphy RE, Harris, BH: The art of accident scene care. Emergency Care Quarterly 1987; 3:7-14.
7. Murphy RE, Schwaitzberg SD, Harris BH: Preparing the emergency department for pediatric trauma. Emergency Care Quarterly 1987; 3:27-30.
8. Bergman, KS, Murphy RE, Harris BH: Emergency airway management. Emergency Care Quarterly 1987; 3:31-36.
9. Croitoru D, Latchaw LA, Murphy RE, et al: Delayed onset cardiac tamponade following blunt trauma. In Harris BH (ed): Progress in Pediatric Trauma. Boston: Nobb Hill Press, 1987.
10. Murphy RE, Harris BH: Management of post-traumatic duodenal hematoma in children. Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants 1988; 1(1):35-39.
11. Bojar RM, Murphy RE, Payne DD, Diehl JT. A Manual of Perioperative Care in Cardiac and Thoracic Surgery. Boston: Blackwell Scientific Publications, 1988.
12. Harris BH, Latchaw LA, Murphy RE, Schwaitzberg SD. A protocol for pediatric trauma receiving units. Journal of Pediatric Surgery 1989; 24(5):419-22.
13. Murphy RE, Payne DD, Harris, BH: Chest Trauma in Children. Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants 1990; 3(2):137-146.
14. Harris BH, Schwaitzberg SD, Bergman KS, Murphy RE, Latchaw LA: Predictable risk in a macroregional pediatric trauma system. Pediatric Emergency Care 1993.
15. Giunta NM, Murphy RE, Payne DD: A 36 year-old woman with fatigue and dyspnea. Clinician Reviews 1994; 4(5):115-122.
16. Murphy RE. Sleepless on the Information Highway (Editorial). Clinician Reviews 1994; 4(10):105-108.
17. Giunta NM, Malaguti R, Murphy RE: Chylothorax: Diagnosis and management. Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants 1995; 8(10):33-38.
18. Bojar RM, Payne DD, Murphy RE, Schwartz SL, Belden JR, Caplan JR, Rastegar H. Surgical treatment of systemic atheroembolism from the thoracic aorta. Annals of Thoracic Surgery 1996;61:1389-93.
19. Carpino PA, Murphy RE. Cardiac tamponade after cardiac surgery. Surgical Physician Assistant 1996; July/August:1-10.
20. Dashe JF, Pessin MS, Murphy RE, Payne DD: Carotid occlusive disease and stroke risk in coronary artery bypass graft surgery. Neurology 1997;49:678-686.
21. Katcher MS, Lee S, Griffith JL, Foote CB, Homoud M, Payne DD, Rastegar H, Bojar RM, Warner K, Murphy RE, Estes NAM, Wang PJ. Prediction of atrial fibrillation following cardiac surgery using computerized ECG measurements. PACE 1997;20
22. Murphy RE: Cardiology. In Miller AA, Simon AF, Cafferty PJ. (Eds.): Appleton & Lange’s Review for the Physician Assistant 3rd Edition. Baltimore, Appleton & Lange, 1998; pp. 173-194.
23. Carpino PA, Khabbaz KK, Bojar RM, Rastegar H, Warner KG, Murphy RE, Payne DD. Clinical benefits of endoscopic vein harvesting with risk factors for saphenectomy wound infections undergoing coronary artery bypass grafting. Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery 2000; 119:69-76.
24. Shapira OM, Eskenazi BR, Hunter CT, Anter E, Bao Y, Murphy RE, Lazar HL, Shemin RJ. Endoscopic versus conventional radial artery harvest- Is smaller better? Journal of Cardiac Surgery 2006; 21:329-335.
25. Sansone J, Murphy RE. Chronic stable angina: Disease progression or status quo? Clinician Reviews 2010; 20(3):18-25.