Research Assistant Professor of Public Health and Community Medicine
Tufts University School of Medicine
136 Harrison Avenue
Boston, MA 02111
PhD & MS, Tufts University
BS, University of Massachusetts
Dr. Rioux’s research and expertise bridge the disciplines of environmental science and engineering and public health. Her work focuses on environmental exposures, the role of neighborhood factors on disease progression and international work with USAID on the One Health program examining the intersection of animal, human and environmental health. Her research and teaching promotes an interdisciplinary perspective, a fertile ground for discovery and integration of new and prior knowledge. Her most recent projects involved leading trainings in health risk assessment in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Gabon to physicians, veterinarians, environmental scientists, and forestry students. Her prior publications have advanced the understanding of susceptibility and vulnerability to environmental exposures using geo-spatial analyses, community-based research, and interdisciplinary risk assessment.
She currently teaches environmental and occupational health and epidemiology/biostatistics and is a course director for the Applied Learning Experience in the MPH program.
- Rioux CL, Tucker K, Brugge D, Gute DM, Mwamburi M. 2011. Traffic exposure in a population with high prevalence Type 2 diabetes – do medications influence concentrations of C-reactive protein? Environmental Pollution. doi:10.1016/j.envpol.2010.12.025
- Rioux CL, Tucker K, Mwamburi M, Gute DM, Cohen, SA, Brugge D. 2010. Residential traffic exposure, pulse pressure and C-reactive protein: Consistency and contrast among exposure characterization methods. Environmental Health Perspectives. 118 (6), pp. 803-811.
- Rioux CL, Gute DM, Brugge D, Peterson S, Parmenter B. 2010. Characterizing urban traffic exposures using transportation planning tools: An illustrated methodology for health researchers. Journal of Urban Health. 87 (2), pp. 167-188.
- Rioux, C. 2007. Childhood Environmental Health. In Early Childhood Education – An International Encyclopedia. Greenwood Publishing Group.
- Brugge D, Durant J, Rioux C. 2007. Near-highway exposure to motor vehicle pollutants: Emerging evidence of cardiac and pulmonary health risks. Environmental Health. Vol 6. No 23.
- Brugge D, Lee AC, Woodin M, Rioux C. 2007. Native and foreign born as predictors of pediatric asthma in an Asian immigrant population: A cross sectional survey. Environmental Health. Vol 6. Article No. 13.
- Brugge D, Rioux C, Groover T, Peters J, Kosheleva A, Levy, J. 2007. Dust mites: Using data from an intervention study to suggest future research needs and directions. Reviews on Environmental Health. Vol. 22. No. 3.
- Rioux, CL. 2007. Guidance manual for use of risk-based remediation goals for contaminated land management. Prepared for the Environmental Protection Department of the Government of Hong Kong - Special Administrative Region. Contracted through CDM International. Hong Kong. http://www.epd.gov.hk/epd/english/environmentinhk/waste/guide_ref/files/gme.pdf