Professor of Public Health and Community Medicine
Director, Public Health Programs
Tufts University School of Medicine
136 Harrison Avenue
Boston, MA 02111
MPH, Harvard University School Of Public Health (1990)
MD, Columbia College Of Physicians And Surgeons (1982)
BA, Magna Cum Laude, Yale University (1978)
Specific areas of research focus have included Community-Oriented Primary Care models and methods; community organizing and community outreach methods in health promotion and disease prevention; and physician-community coalition building. More generally, I am interested in ways that physicians and the medical education system do or do not participate in efforts to improve public health and/or address problems with access and equity in our heath care system.
- Sales, C Schlaff AL, “Reforming medical education: A synthesis of five critiques of medical practice.” Social Science & Medicine. 70(11):1665-8, 2010 Jun.
- Schlaff AL Robbins A, “Teaching Health Departments: Meeting the challenge of public health education.” Journal of Public Health Management & Practice. 15(5):439-42, 2009 Sep-Oct.
- Schlaff AL, “Lack of National Primary Care Organization Partnerships With Community Groups to Promote Health Care Reform”: American Journal of Public Health May 2005, Vol 95, No. 5 | 832-834
- Schlaff AL, Chang RW, Mayer L, “Public Health Education Reform in Context: A commentary on the Institute of Medicine’s Reprt ‘Who Will Keep the Public Healthy?’” Journal of Public Health Management and Practice, Sept-Oct 2005: Vol 11, No. 5: 465 – 468
- Schlaff, AL, "Boston's Codman Square Partnership for Health Promotion" Public Health Reports, Mar-Apr 1991: 106(2), pp. 186 - 191
- Schlaff AL, “Framing the Future’s Expert Panel Report on the MPH Degree: A Step Backward?” Journal of Public Health Management & Practice. 20(4): 368-370, 2014 Jul-Aug
- Schlaff AL, “Health Care and Human Health” Chapter in Debates on U.S. Health Care, Kronenfeld JJ, Parmet WE and Zezza MA eds. Sage 2012, Los Angeles, CA