Associate Professor of Public Health and Community Medicine
Tufts University School of Medicine
150 Harrison Avenue, Jaharis 265
Boston, MA 02111
ScM, Harvard University, School of Public Health, Department of Biostatistics
PhD, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Department of Epidemiology
My research focuses largely on studying the causes and consequences of nutrition and metabolic abnormalities in people living with HIV, with a particular focus on substance users. Specific areas of interest include the effects of food insecurity on barriers to HIV treatment, the nutritional consequences of heavy alcohol use, and the effect of dietary quality on health outcomes in HIV infected patients. I am currently the Director of the Epidemiology and Biostatistics Core of the Tufts Nutrition Collaborative Center for Drug Abuse and AIDS Research (TNC-CDAAR), a collaborative center between Tufts, Brown, and Johns Hopkins focusing on the nutritional and metabolic consequences of drug use, HIV, and Hepatitis. I am also the co-Director of the Biostatistics Core of the Tufts/Brown/Lifespan Center for AIDS Research (CFAR). Both of these NIH-funded Centers offer researchers statistical consultation and analytical support for their research studies related to HIV/AIDS. In addition, I and my team of programmers, have spearheaded the development of a unique computerized interviewing system, also known as ACASI (audio computer-assisted self-interview). We offer researchers at Tufts and other research institutions the service of turning their paper-based questionnaires into computerized ACASI systems for their studies (http://acasi.tufts.edu).
- Tang AM, Graham NMH, Chandra RK, and Saah AJ. Relation between serum vitamin B6, B12, and folate levels and human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) disease progression. J Nutr 1997; 127: 345-351.
- Semba RD and Tang AM. Micronutrients and the pathogenesis of HIV infection. Br J Nutr 1999; 81(3): 181-185.
- Tang AM, Smit E, Semba RD, Lyles CM, Shah N, Li D, and Vlahov D. Improved antioxidant status among HIV-infected drug users on HAART. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2000; 23:321-326.
- Smit E and Tang AM. Nutritional assessment in HIV/AIDS intravenous drug users J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2000; 25(Suppl 1):S62-S69.
- Bolton P and Tang AM. A new approach to cross-cultural function assessment. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 2002;37:537-543.
- Bica I, Tang AM, Skinner S. Spiegelman D, Knox T, Gorbach S, Wilson IB. Use of complementary and alternative therapies by patients with HIV disease in the era of highly active antiretroviral therapy. J Alternative and Complementary Medicine: Research on Paradigm, Practice and Policy 2003;9(1):65-76.
- Tobin K, Tang AM, Gilbert SH, Latkin CA. Correlates of HIV Antibody Testing among a sample of injection drug users: the role of social and contextual factors. AIDS Behav 2004;8(3):303-10.
- Quach A, Wanke CA, Schmid CH, Gorbach SL, Mwamburi MD, Mayer KH; Spiegelman D, Tang AM. Drug Use and Other Risk Factors Related to Lower Body Mass Index among HIV-Infected Individuals. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 2008; 95:30-36. PMID: 18243579
- Jordan MR, La H, Nguyen HD, Sheehan H, Lien TTM, Dang DV, Hellinger J, Wanke C, Tang AM. Correlates of viral suppression in a cohort of HIV-positive injection drug users in Hanoi, Vietnam. Int J STD & AIDS 2009;20:418-22. PMCID: 2887676
- Tang AM, Forrester JE, Spiegelman D, Flanigan T, Dobs A, Skinner S, Wanke CA. Heavy injection drug use is associated with lower percent body fat in a multi-ethnic cohort of HIV-positive and HIV-negative drug users from three U.S. cities. Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse. 2010;36:78-86. PMCID: 2837874
- Hendricks KM, Erzen HD, Wanke CA, Tang AM. Nutrition issues in the HIV Infected Injection Drug User: Findings from the Nutrition for Healthy Living Cohort. J Am Coll Nutr 2010; 29:136-143.
- Tang AM, Bhatnagar T, Ramachandran R, Dong K, Skinner S, Kumar MS, Wanke CA. Malnutrition in a population of HIV-positive and HIV-negative drug users living in Chennai, South India. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2011 [Epub ahead of print]. PMCID: 3130882
- Sheehan HB, Benetucci J, Muzzio E, Redini L, Naveira J, Segura M, Weissenbacher M, Tang AM. High rates of serum selenium deficiency among HIV and HCV infected and non-infected drug users in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Public Health Nutrition. 2011; Jul 11:1-8. [Epub ahead of print]. PMCID: pending
- Tang AM, Sheehan H, Jordan M, Duong DV, Terrin N, Dong K, Lien T, Trung NV, Wanke CA and Hien ND. Predictors of Weight Change in Male HIV-positive Injection Drug Users Initiating Antiretroviral Therapy in Hanoi, Vietnam. AIDS Research and Treatment. 2011;11:1-8 (Epub ahead of print). PMCID: 3137978
- McMahon JH, Wanke CA, Elliott JH, Skinner S, Tang AM. Repeated assessments of food security predict CD4 change in the setting of antiretroviral therapy. J Acquire Immune Defic Syndr. 2011;1:60-3. PMCID: 3159819.