Carole A. Palmer, MEd, EdD, RD
Professor and Head, Division of Nutrition and Oral Health Promotion, Dept. of Diagnosis and Health Promotion, Tufts University School of Dental Medicine
Professor and Head of the Master’s Component of the Frances Stern Combined Dietetic Internship Master’s Program, Tufts’ Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy and Tufts Medical Center Hospital
Adjunct Professor of Public Health and Community Medicine
Tufts School of Dental Medicine
1 Kneeland St.
Boston, MA 02111
EdD Educational Policy, Planning, and Administration, Boston University
MEd Nutrition Education, Tufts University
Dietetic Internship, Frances Stern Nutrition Center of Tufts New England Medical Center (Registered Dietitian)
BS Nutrition, Simmons College
Dr. Palmer’s primary research emphasis has been the study of relationships between diet and/or nutrition, and oral conditions and communication of these issues to professionals and the public. She is also a leader in developing models for implementing nutrition care in clinical dental settings. She has written extensively in the professional and lay literature, and has consulted widely on nutrition and oral health issues.
Book: Diet and Nutrition in Oral Health, Palmer, C ed. 3rd. edition, Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River NJ, in preparation
- Palmer C, Gerodontic Nutrition and Dietary Counseling for Prosthodontic Patients, in Romito Laura M. editor, Dental Clinics of North America: Nutrition and Oral Health, Vol 47, # 2, April 2003, pp 355-372.
- Tinanoff N, Palmer CA. Dietary Determinants of Dental Caries and Dietary Recommendations for Preschool Children. Refuat Hapeh Vehashinayin. 20(2): 8-23, April 2003
- Palmer C, D Burnett, B Dean: It’s More than Just Candy: Important Relationships between Nutrition and Oral Health. Nutrition Today, 45:4 , July-August 2010, pp.154-166
- Palmer C.A., R. Kent, Jr, C.Y. Loo, C. V. Hughes, E. Stutius, N. Pradhan, M. Dahlan, E. Kanasi7, S.S. Arevalo Vasquez, A.C.R. Tanner. Diet and Caries-Associated Bacteria in Early Childhood Caries. J.Dental Research. November, 2010
- Romano, A, Palmer C. When is a Food Not a Food?. Can J Dent Hygiene, 2011; 45:2, 117-127.
- Spiegel, Kaitlin A, Palmer CA, Childhood Dental Caries and Childhood Obesity; Different Problems with Overlapping Causes. American Journal l of Dentistry, 2012;25: 59-64.
- Evans, EW, Hayes, C, Palmer, CA, Bermudez, OI, Naumova, EN, Cohen,SA , Must, A. Development of a Pediatric Cariogenicity Index, accepted for publication, Journal of Public Health Dentistry
- Evans, E.W, Hayes, C, Cohen, S, Bermudez, OI, Palmer, C, Must, A
- Dietary patterns and severe early childhood caries in a sample of young low-income children, submitted for publication.
- Palmer C, Gilbert JA, Position of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, the impact of fluoride on health. J Acad Nutr Diet, 2012, Sept: 112(9): 1255-1277