Transfers follow these policies and must meet these requirements:
Availability of Positions
*Note: TUSM will not be accepting transfer applications for the 2021-2022 academic year
Tufts University School of Medicine will occasionally accept transfers into the third year class when vacancies have been created by attrition. The number of seats available has traditionally been extremely limited and there have been years where we have not admitted any transfer students into the school.
You are eligible to apply to the third year class if you are currently enrolled in an American LCME-accredited medical school and have, or will have, completed the first two years of that program by May 1st of the spring prior to transferring. Also, please be advised that you must take the USMLE Step 1 Examination prior to May 1st in order to matriculate into our third year class.
Please note that we do not admit students with advanced standing based on course work completed in foreign medical schools or in programs that lead to other professional or academic credentials such as DMD, DDS, DO, DVM, or PhD degrees.
Priority consideration will be given to academically qualified U.S. citizens who present a compelling personal or family-related need to transfer to Boston.
The deadline for submission of transfer application materials is March 15th of each year.
Request an application at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your application will be considered complete when we have received the following:
- $130.00 nonrefundable application fee.
- Medical College Admissions Test results (mandatory for all applicants)
- Complete and official transcripts from any and all undergraduate and postgraduate programs you attended prior to medical school.
- A transcript, as complete as is currently available, of your medical school studies. Accepted applicants will be requested to submit a complete and official transcript.
- A letter of recommendation from your medical school Dean of Student Affairs or his or her designate. Additional letters may be submitted but may not substitute for a letter from your medical school Dean of Student Affairs.
- Documentation that you have scheduled the USMLE Step 1 Examination on a date prior to May 1st. (A passing score is not required for matriculation into third year but is required in order to be promoted to fourth year.)
Offers of transfer admission may be made at any time after March 15th of each year, as vacancies in our classes occur. Because such vacancies sometimes occur unexpectedly, we hold all applications for transfer admission under review until our third classes have begun.
The decision of the School of Medicine Committee on Admissions is final.