Alia has been a freelance health writer and editor for eight years. Her expertise is in transforming complex medical information into clear, action-oriented articles, fact-sheets, brochures, podcast scripts, web content, quizzes, and more for lay audiences. She has written articles that translate and summarize the results of more than 250 clinical studies. Prior to becoming a health writer and editor, Alia was a health care consultant for 10 years.
Alia is interested in improving health literacy in underserved populations and using plain language principles to create content that is easy to understand and act upon. She writes primarily about pediatric and adolescent medicine, women’s health, and nutrition.
Alia edits articles that summarize recent clinical trials for the Journal Watch newsletter series, which is published by the Massachusetts Medical Society. She also edits CME exams for the New England Journal of Medicine. She is about to begin a project where she will rewrite documents originally written for clinicians about the late effects of childhood cancer for cancer survivors and their families. Alia just completed a report writing workshop for a Boston-based health care consulting firm.
- MS, 2005, Tufts University School of Medicine
- BA, 1994, University of Arizona
- Bucciarelli, A. (Summer 2010). Notice breast changes? They may be normal. Women’s Health Source, p.3.
- Bucciarelli, A. (Summer 2010). Fly through airport security with your new joint. Women’s Health Source, p. 4.
- Bucciarelli, A. (Summer 2010). Advanced options for heart failure. Women’s Health Source, p. 11.
- Bucciarelli, A. (2010). Renovascular Hypertension. Ebsco Publishing.
- Bucciarelli, A. (2010) Medical Induction of Labor. Ebsco Publishing.
- Bucciarelli, A. Dyslexia. (2010) Ebsco Publishing.
- Bucciarelli, A. (Winter 2010) Don’t let asthma keep you indoors this winter. MetroPlus Gold Health News, p. 4.
- Bucciarelli, A. (Winter 2010). Mental exercise keeps your mind sharp. MetroPlus Gold Health News, p. 5.
- Bucciarelli, A. (Winter 2010). Stretching your grocery budget. MetroPlus Gold Health News, p. 6.
- Goldberg, J. and Bucciarelli, A. (2006). A century of low-carbohydrate diets. Nutr Today, 41(3), pp. 99-105.