Programs: Public Health
Specific areas of research focus have included Community-Oriented Primary Care models and methods; community organizing and community outreach methods in health promotion and disease prevention; and physician-community coalition building. Most recently, I have begun exploring the way that public health and clinical health professions students are (or are not) taught about race and racism, racism's effects on health, and actions that health professionals can and should take to combat racism and its effects.
- MPH, Harvard University School Of Public Health (1990)
- MD, Columbia College Of Physicians And Surgeons (1982)
- BA, Magna Cum Laude, Yale University (1978)
- Sales, C Schlaff AL, "Reforming medical education: A synthesis of five critiques of medical practice." Social Science & Medicine. 70(11):1665-8, 2010 Jun.
- Schlaff AL Robbins A, "Teaching Health Departments: Meeting the challenge of public health education." Journal of Public Health Management & Practice. 15(5):439-42, 2009 Sep-Oct.
- Schlaff AL, "Lack of National Primary Care Organization Partnerships With Community Groups to Promote Health Care Reform": American Journal of Public Health May 2005, Vol 95, No. 5 | 832-834
- Schlaff AL, Chang RW, Mayer L, "Public Health Education Reform in Context: A commentary on the Institute of Medicine's Report 'Who Will Keep the Public Healthy?'" Journal of Public Health Management and Practice, Sept-Oct 2005: Vol 11, No. 5: 465 – 468
- Schlaff, AL, "Boston's Codman Square Partnership for Health Promotion" Public Health Reports, Mar-Apr 1991: 106(2), pp. 186 - 191
- Schlaff AL, "Framing the Future's Expert Panel Report on the MPH Degree: A Step Backward?" Journal of Public Health Management & Practice. 20(4): 368-370, 2014 Jul-Aug