Carmia G. Borek
Carmia Borek received her PhD degree in Genetics, Cellular and Molecular Biology, at the Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovoth, Israel. Dr Borek was Professor of Pathology, Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons1981-1990. Dr. Borek is currently Research Professor in the Department of Public Health and Family Medicine at Tufts University School of Medicine.
Dr. Borek’s long time research and expertise has been in the areas of Cancer cause and prevention, with seminal discoveries on radiation effects and radiation-induced cancer and its prevention, Other main research and teaching has focused on environmental issues, nutrition and aging, on the role of antioxidants and nutritional factors in health and disease prevention, including age-related diseases.
Dr. Borek served as consultant and Advisor Board Member with the NIH, NCI, NIA, NAS, DOE, NIEHS, FDA, the US Army, and various foundations such as the ACS, AICR (nutrition and cancer), NIH Scientific Committee on Small Business Innovative Research and as Council to the AAAS, and Expert Witness to the US Senate on Environmental Issues and Health. Dr. Borek has been consultant to the Australian Government TGF( analogous to the FDA) on antioxidant supplements in conventional and Complementary Medicine and to the Medical Council in South Africa, on antioxidants and immunomodulation.
Dr. Borek is Consults selected Natural Products and Dietary Supplement Industries.
Current Educational Activities: Collaborative research and Mentoring MBS students, providing guidance in generating topics and researching and writing their theses for their MBS degree.
- PhD, Weizmann Institute of Science, Israel
- MS, George Washington University
- BS, American University
- Borek C, Ong A, Mason H, Donahue L, Biaglow JE. Selenium and vitamin E inhibit radiogenic and chemically induced transformation in vitro via different mechanisms. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 1986;83:1490-1494.
- Borek C, Ong A, Mason H. Distinctive transforming genes in X-ray transformed mammalian cells. Proc Nat Acad Sci 1987;84:794-798.
- Pardo FS, Bristow RG, Taghian A, Ong A, Borek C. Role of transfection and clonal selection in mediating radioresistance. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1991;88:10652-10656.
- Takahashi M, Przetakiewicz M, Ong A, Borek C: Effect of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids on transformation of cultured cells by irradiation and transfection. Cancer Res. 1992;52:154-162.
- Borek, C. Antioxidant Health Effects of Aged Garlic Extract. J Nutrition 2001;131:1010S-1015S.
- Borek C Garlic supplements and saquinavir Clin Infect Dis 2002;35:343.
- Borek C. Anti-aging effects of coenzyme Q10. (Invited article) Agro FOOD industry high-tech (The European Journal of Nutraceuticals & Functional foods). 2004; May/June; 24-26.
- Borek C. Dietary Antioxidants and Human Cancer (Invited article). Integrative Cancer Therapies. 2004;3:333-341.
- Borek C. Antioxidants and Radiation Therapy J Nut 2004; 134: 3207S-3209S.
- Borek C. Antioxidants and the prevention of hormonally regulated cancer J Men’s Health and Gender 2005;2 (3):346-352.
- Borek C. Garlic reduces dementia and heart-disease risk. J Nutr. 2006;136 :810S-812S.
- Borek C. Aging and antioxidants. Fruits and vegetables are powerful armor. Adv Nurse Pract. 2006;14:35-38. Review.
- Borek C. Biochemical and medical aspects of coenzyme Q10 (Invited article) Agro FOOD industry high-tech (The European Journal of Nutraceuticals & Functional foods) July/August. 2006; 58-60.
- Forrester, J. Wang XD, Borek C. Nox T, Tang AM, Johnson EJ Factors influencing serum retinol, alpha tocopherol, carotenoids, selenium and zinc in hispanics with problems of HIV, chronic hepatitis and drug abuse. J Public Health Policy. 2009;;30:285-99.
- Borek C. Garlic and Human Health: An old Remedy With Modern Applications In: Phytochemicals and Human Health: Pharmachological and Molecular Aspects A Farooqui (ed)Nova Science Publishers. NY. 2011; pp465-481
Other Publications: Editor of 6 books in the fields of Pathobiology, Author of over 100 educational articles in popular magazine on nutrition and health.
- Borek, C. "Maximize Your Health-Span With Antioxidants: The babyboomer’s guide". McGraw Hill.