Dr. Steven Hong has helped to establish a strong research collaboration between Tufts University School of Medicine and the University of Namibia Medical School and the Namibia Ministry of Health and Social Services. His research in Namibia focuses on optimization of care of HIV-infected patients, including assessment of antiretroviral therapy (ART) delivery, retention in care of patients on ART, pre-ART retention in care, assessment and prevention of HIV drug resistance, and assessment of food insecurity in HIV-infected patients. He also works as a consultant for the World Health Organization in the strategy for surveillance and prevention of HIV drug resistance in resource-limited settings which led to publications in peer-reviewed journals and presentations at international meetings. In rural Kenya, he conducts research in the areas of nutrition and HIV progression, food insecurity, HIV transmission knowledge, and malaria in HIV-infected patients. He has mentored multiple medical students and sending them to both Kenya and Namibia and is currently mentoring a post-doctoral fellow in Namibia conducting a project on monitoring of HIV drug resistance. He also has conducted research in prudent antimicrobial usage.
- Hong SY, Jerger L, Jonas A, Badi A, Cohen S, Tang A, Nachega JB, Parienti JJ, Wanke C, Terrin N, Pereko D, Blom A, Trotter A, Jordan MR. Medication Possession Ratio Associated with Short-term Virologic Response in Individuals Initiating Antiretroviral Therapy in Namibia. PLoS ONE in press.
- McMahon J, Elliott J, Hong SY, Jordan MR. Effects of Patient Tracing on Estimates of Lost to Follow-up, Mortality and Retention in Antiretroviral Therapy Programs in Low-middle Income. PLoS ONE in press.
- Hong SY, Thompson D, Wanke C, Omosa G, Jordan MR, Tang AM, Patta S, Mwero B, Mjomba I, Mwamburi M. (2012) Knowledge of HIV Transmission and Associated Factors among HIV-Positive and HIV-Negative Patients in Rural Kenya. J AIDS Clinic Res 3:170. doi:10.4172/2155-6113.1000170
- Hong SY, Hendricks KM, Wanke C, Omosa G, Patta S, Mwero B, Mjomba I, Queenan J, Mwamburi M. Development of Nutrient Dense Food Supplement for HIV-infected Women in Rural Kenya using Qualitative and Quantitative Research Methods. Public Health Nutr. 2012 Sep 14:1-9. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 22974548
- Bertagnolio S, De Luca A, Vitoria A, Essaje S, Penazzato M, Hong SY, Mc Clure C, Duncombe C, Jordan MR. Determinants of HIV drug resistance and public health implications in low- and middle-income countries. Antivir Ther. 2012 Aug 16. doi: 10.3851/IMP2320. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 22898622
- Jordan MR, Bennett DE, Wainberg M, Havlir D, Hammer S, Yang C, Morris L, Peeters M, Wensing A, Parkin N, Nachega JB, Phillips A, Deluca A, Geng E, Calmy A, Raizes E, Sandstrom P, Perriëns J, McClure CM, Hong SY, McMahon JH, Dedes N, Sutherland D, Bertagnolio S. Update on World Health Organization HIV Drug Resistance Prevention and Assessment Strategy: 2004-2011. Clin Infect Dis. 2012 May;54 Suppl 4:S245-9. PMID: 22544182
- Bennett DE, Jordan MR, Bertagnolio S, Hong SY, McMahon J, Ravasi G, Saadani A, Kelley K . HIV Drug Resistance Early Warning Indicators in Cohorts of Individuals Starting Antiretroviral Therapy Between 2004 and 2009: World Health Organization Global Report From 50 Countries. Clin Infect Dis. 2012 May;54 Suppl 4:S280-9. PMID: 22544188
- Hong SY, Epstein LH, Lawrence K, Davidson L, Taur Y, Doron S. Evaluation of Programmatic Changes to an Antimicrobial Stewardship Program with House Officer Feedback. Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice. J Eval Clin Pract. 2012 Mar 15. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2753.2012.01840.x. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 22420938
- Hong SY, Nachega JB, Kelley K, Bertagnolio S, Marconi VC, Jordan MR. The Global Status of HIV Drug Resistance: Clinical and Public-Health Approaches for Detection, Treatment and Prevention. Infect Disord Drug Targets. 2011 Apr 1;11(2):124-33. Review. PMID: 21406052
- Nachega JB, Marconi VC, van Zyl GU, Gardner EM, Preiser W, Hong SY, Mills EJ, Gross R. Clinical and Public Health Aspects of HIV Treatment Adherence, Drug Resistance, Virologic Failure: Evolving Concepts. Infect Disord Drug Targets. 2011 Apr 1;11(2):167-74. Review. PMID: 21406048
- McMahon JH, Jordan MR, Kelley K, Bertagnolio S, Hong SY, Wanke C, Lewin SR, Elliott JH. Pharmacy Adherence Measures to Assess Adherence to Antiretroviral Therapy: Review of the Literature and Implications for Treatment Monitoring. Clin Infect Dis. 2011 Feb 15;52(4):493-506. Epub 2011 Jan 18. PMID: 21245156
- Hong SY, Jonas A, Dumeni E, Badi A, Pereko D, Blom A, Muthiani VS, Shiningavamwe AN, Mukamba J, Andemichael G, Barbara R, Bennett DE, Jordan MR. Population-based Monitoring of HIV Drug Resistance in Namibia with Early Warning Indicators. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2010 Dec;55(4):27-31. PMID: 20838224
- Hong SY, Taur Y, Jordan MR, Wanke C. Antimicrobial prescribing in the USA for adult acute pharyngitis in relation to treatment guidelines. J Eval Clin Pract. 2011 Dec;17(6):1176-83. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2753.2010.01495.x. Epub 2010 Jun 25. PMID: 20586844 PMCID: PMC297826
- Hong SY and Jordan MR, World Health Organization Global strategy Training Manual; World Health Organization; 2009; http://www.who.int/hiv/drugresistance/.