The Berman Travel Fund is a small fund for students who have been offered the chance to present their research at a conference. If you are the primary speaker/presenter of the body of work, you can submit a request to be partially funded for travel costs associated with the conference. Funds will be awarded on an ongoing basis. The OSA will review the application/request and make a decision as to whether it will be funded and how much funding will be allotted. Selection of awards will be confirmed via email by the Office of Student Affairs in a timely manner following the submission of completed application materials and committee decision.
There will be a limit of two awards or $500.00 total for each student during their time at TUSM to give all students an opportunity for support. The student is responsible to pay upfront for all conference/travel related expenses. Reimbursements will be processed after the student has returned from the presentation. The research must have been done while a student at TUSM. Due to the limited nature of these funds, preference will be given to research conducted at TUSM or one of its affiliates. Funds awarded will be dispersed once you submit original, detailed receipts after the conference. Please see Paula Gagnon in the OSA for an application.
Funds will be awarded based on the following criteria:
1) All Tufts University School of Medicine students enrolled in the M.D. degree program and in good academic and professional standing are eligible to apply. This includes students who are in the research concentration program. Students who are currently on a leave of absence are eligible to apply for funding for work presented at a conference, with the condition that the conference will be attended when the student returns full-time to school.
2) A letter of support from a principal investigator or faculty mentor associated with the presentation is required.
3) Confirmation of approved absence by the Associate Dean for Student Affairs is required.
4) A completed Berman Travel Fund application, including copies of the submitted abstract, the web page which lists all conference details (e.g. purpose for conference, location, date(s), registration costs, etc.) and confirmation of acceptance for poster or podium talk.
- Conference registration fees.
- Coach class travel only will be reimbursed. If frequent flyer premiums are used, there is no out-of-pocket expense. Therefore, reimbursement can only be made if the cost of the ticket was paid by cash or credit card with valid receipt/bank statement.
- Mileage is currently 56 cents per mile for privately owned vehicles. Mileage reimbursement is subject to change without notice, as dictated by the federal government.
- TUSM travelers may be reimbursed for lodging equal to the single room rate plus taxes. If lodging exceeds $300.00 per day, a detailed justification must be submitted. No reimbursement for overnight accommodations shall be made within 100 miles of the traveler’s official headquarters and/or residence. Payment of any advance deposits and full payment for lodging is the responsibility of the traveler. Reimbursement will be made once the trip has been complete and the OSA receives notification from the traveler that the conference has ended.
Reimbursement requirements for awardees:
Original, detailed receipts must be submitted with the reimbursement request. Students will be reimbursed for the amount indicated on the receipts if the awarded amount allows. The following checklist should be used as a guide for documentation.
- A brief written statement/comments regarding your travel/conference experience is required.
- Original receipts (not scanned copies of the original, please) for taxi/shuttle service and a bank statement showing it was paid, if by credit card.
- A copy of the completed/accepted conference registration form and a bank statement showing it was paid.
- A copy of flight/travel itinerary showing all travel times and bank statement showing it was paid.
- Conference announcement or flyers or cover from handout showing conference name, location, dates and purpose.
- A copy of the hotel’s paid invoice/receipt and bank statement showing it was paid.
- MapQuest depicting roundtrip mileage to and from your home to your destination return determine mileage if you are driving to event. A receipt for tolls or a copy of Fast pass transaction is needed for reimbursement of tolls.