PA Admissions & Tuition
Prerequisite 2021 Alert in Response to COVID-19
Prerequisite Changes Statement
In an effort to assist candidates facing unprecedented challenges due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, Tufts University PA program has made the following changes to the prerequisite requirements for the 2021 application cycle:
- Pass/Fail grades for prerequisite courses will be accepted for the spring 2020 and summer 2020 semesters only. Students will be required to upload a statement from the College or University where these prerequisites were completed in CASPA, documenting that pass/fail grades were utilized instead of the standard letter grades for spring and summer 2020 semesters due to COVID-19.
- The GRE examination will be “test optional” for the 2021 cycle only. This means that scores are not required but can be submitted if a candidate completed the exam. If applicants would like us to consider their exam results as a component of their candidacy, we will do so in a contextual way. If students choose not to submit exam results, the application will not be penalized. Our admissions committee has a holistic approach when evaluating each application. This provides us with the flexibility to evaluate academic and experience accomplishments within a candidate’s individual context.
The Tufts University School of Medicine Physician Assistant (PA) Program enrolls students in JANUARY of each year. Decisions are made on a rolling basis.
Snapshot of our most recently matriculated class
How to Apply
The CASPA Application Portal will open on April 29, 2021, at which time applicants for January 2022 may begin an application. Applicants should fill in the academic history section as soon as you begin the application process to allow CASPA to match incoming materials with an application. Do not submit the application until all final transcripts are received.
Please note that the Tufts PA Program has a Green Deadline, August 1, 2021 (See CASPA's deadline definitions). Applicants should aim to have all items submitted by July 1, 2021 in order to meet the "verified-by" deadline of August 1st.
Applications must meet CASPA and Tufts requirements:
a.) CASPA requirements for verification:
- Application e-submitted in CASPA with application fee paid
- Resume/CV is uploaded
- Patient Care Document found in CASPA is completed
- All official transcripts received by CASPA
- Minimum of two letters of recommendation received by CASPA
b.) Tufts requirements (not required for verification, but must be received by CASPA by August 1st):
- 3rd letter of recommendation (References from shadowing experiences will not be accepted as one of the three required recommendations)
- Official GRE/MCAT Scores
- TOEFL Scores (if required)
Once an application meets CASPA and Tufts application requirements AND has been confirmed by the PA Admissions Office, then the application will be sent to the PA Admissions Committee for review.
Special Note: May 2021 graduates MUST
- E-submit and submit an official final transcript to CASPA before July 1st even if it may not have a degree conferral date yet. This allows the process of application verification to begin. The applicant should call CASPA customer service to check whether the transcript received includes the date of degree conferral. If it does not, the applicant should request a second, updated transcript with degree conferral date be sent to CASPA no later than August 1. This updated transcript will be loaded to the application and the PA Admissions Office will check that the degree has been conferred, allowing the applicant to move forward to the prerequisite review process.
- Call the PA Admissions Office at 617-636-0935 notifying them of their status so that a note of the exception can be made in their CASPA record.
See below for more information about the application materials.
Evidence of a minimum of 1000 hours of direct patient care
Patient Care Document
Three letters of recommendation
Official Test Scores (GRE or MCAT)
TOEFL Scores (if required)
Resume (indicating where and how a minimum of 1000 hours of direct patient care has been earned)
After You Apply
Application review and decisions occur on a rolling basis, and will extend only to those completed applications meeting the deadline.
Responsibilities of the Enrolled Student
Tuition and Fees
Tuition rates and fees are effective as of July 2019. The Trustees of Tufts University reserve the right to change tuition rates or fees at their discretion.