Career Pathways & Outcomes
Careers in Public Health
The multidisciplinary nature of public health ensures a wide variety of jobs across a broad work arena.
Common settings for public health practitioners include:
- Local, state, and federal government
- Hospitals and health centers
- Research institutes
- Biopharmaceutical and biotechnology companies
- Healthcare consulting
Given our focus on behavioral sciences and health communication, nutrition, epidemiology and biostatistics, population health, and health services management and policy, our alumni can be found in just about every role related to public health.
Learn More About Public Health Careers
Sample Job Titles
View Sample Job Titles of Our Recent Graduates by Sector:
- Prevention Specialist, CDC
- Communications Analyst, National Cancer Institute
- Policy Analyst, Boston Public Health Commission
- Health Care Quality Data Analyst, Commonwealth of Massachusetts Division of Health Care Finance & Policy
- Health Promotion Disease Prevention Coordinator, Edith Nourse Rogers Memorial VA Hospital
- Nutrition Epidemiologist, CDC
- Tobacco Control Specialist, RI Department of Health
- General Council Health Policy Advisor, MA State Senate
- Veterinary Corps Officer, US Army Veterinary Corps
- Paratransit Coordinator for Persons with Disabilities, MBTA
- Program Manager, Massachusetts Children’s Trust Fund
- Study Manager, Dana Farber Cancer Institute
- Project Manager, Uphams Corner Health Center
- Research Associate, Harvard Pilgrim Health Care Institute
- Policy Director, MA Association of Community Health Workers
- Monitoring and Evaluation Consultant, World Vision, Cambodia
- Nutrition Specialist, Save The Children
- Nutrition Policy Advocate, California Food Policy Advocates
- Program Coordinator, Boston Medical Center
- Manager, Regulatory Affairs/Quality Assurance, FoldRX Pharmaceuticals
- Senior Associate Corporate Communications Specialist, Alkermes, Inc. Biotechnology Company
- Litigation Fellow, Center for reproductive Rights
- Epidemiologist, Decision Resources, Inc.
- Consultant, Wyeth Pharmaceuticals
- Senior Consultant, Travelers Insurance
- Campaign Planner, Health Dialog
- Account Executive, Cohn Wolfe Public Relations
- Field Scientists, Research & Development in Health Outcomes and Pharmacoeconomics, Endo Pharmaceuticals
- Senior Health Writer, Communicate Health
- Principal/Owner, Chestnut Medical Communications
- Senior Clinical Project Manager, Vertex Pharmaceuticals
- Nutrition Scientist, North American R & D, Mead Johnson Nutritionals
- Field Scientist, Health Outcomes & Pharmacoeconomics (Research and Development), Endo Pharmaceuticals
Graduate Employment Statistics
Each summer, Career Services issues an employment survey to alumni of all programs who graduated one year ago. We are pleased to report that a majority of our graduates consistently find employment within the first three months after graduating. Take a closer look at the results of our surveys.
2021 MPH Graduating Class - Employment Statistics*
The Tufts Public Health Program collects employment data on graduates one year after their graduation date. The data below represents the graduating class of 2021.
98% of our students were either employed, in voluntary service, or continuing education following graduation. 54% of our students were employed prior to graduation and 46% within six months.
Employment breakdown by industry
|Private (Consulting, Pharma)||19%|
|Federal, State, and Local Government||14%|
*The remaining 5% were Self-Employed or Other.
The median salary of our 2021 MPH graduates was $67,000 (based on graduates who reported outcomes).
- Abt Associates
- Amundsen Consulting
- Blue Shield of California
- Brigham and Women's Hospital
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Decision Resources Group
- Massachusetts Department of Public Health
- Massachusetts General Hospital
- No Kid Hungry
- Partners Healthcare
- RTI International
- State of Rhode Island, Executive Office of Health and Human Services
- Tufts University, Friedman School of Nutrition
- U.S. Agency for International Development
*Response rate: Data collected on 45% of graduates through alumni survey and supplemental research per CEPH policy.