Student Research Opportunities
First-year medical students are offered the chance to apply for a summer research fellowship during the summer between their first and second year. There is a common application which is due March 23, 2020 at 4:00 pm.
The fellowship stipend is $4,000 for a period of at least seven weeks (40 hr/wk). Students conducting research under the mentorship of Tufts School of Medicine faculty at Tufts School of Medicine-affiliated institutions are eligible for the full amount of the fellowship. Students conducting research under the mentorship of non-Tufts School of Medicine faculty at non-Tufts School of Medicine-affiliated institutions are limited to 50% of the stipend ($2,000). Matching funds may be requested from the non-Tufts School of Medicine faculty/institution but are not required for the student to receive the award.
Summer Research Fellowship Conditions
- Fellowships are limited to students pursuing the degree of Doctor of Medicine.
- The fellowships are $4,000 per student if the research project is conducted at a Tufts affiliated hospital or with a Tufts faculty member and $2,000 for a non-affiliated hospital or non-Tufts faculty member. Matching funds can be requested from the non-Tufts faculty/institution, but they are not required for the student to receive the award.
- Fellowships will be disbursed in two installments: one at the start of the summer (mid-late June) after the PI submits confirmation of the student start date and one in mid-late July after the PI submits a short update on your progress.
- Students are expected to work 40 hours a week for at least seven weeks in the lab in order to receive the full fellowship.
- No more than two students working with the same mentor in the same laboratory may receive Tufts School of Medicine-sponsored fellowships.
- An eligible student may apply for other available fellowships offered by Tufts School of Medicine or external sources, but the student may only accept one.
- At the end of the summer, all students who received a fellowship are required to submit a one-page written abstract and present a poster at the Poster Fair which is held in the fall semester.
- The awarded students must complete online W9 information so that the monies can be paid.
Application Information and Deadline:
To apply, fill out the common application and submit the appropriate documentation by the receipt deadline of March 23, 2020 at 4:00 pm.
Applications will be reviewed by the Tufts School of Medicine Committee on Medical Student Research, and notification of award will take place approximately four weeks after the application receipt deadline. The fellowship review committee will assign the appropriate award based on the guidelines of the fellowship.