International MPH Applicants

International applicants are those who are citizens of any foreign country (including Canada) who do not hold a United States permanent resident visa (green card). Permanent resident visa status is equivalent to U.S. citizenship for the purposes of our admission process and U.S. federal student loan programs.

We strongly encourage international students to start the online application process as soon as possible due to the extra time and paperwork involved in managing the student visa process. Students who will need to obtain a visa to attend Tufts should submit all application documents a minimum of two months prior to the beginning of the semester. Students should also contact the Tufts International Center as soon as possible after accepting an offer of admission in order to ensure that documents are prepared in a timely manner.

English Proficiency Policy

All non-native English speakers are required to provide proof of English proficiency as part of their application to our programs. Students who are unable to demonstrate English proficiency via one of the options below will not be offered admission.

Options for demonstrating English proficiency:

  1. Submit an official TOEFL score of 100 or higher on the internet-based exam.
  2. Submit official IELTS scores of 7.0 or higher.
  3. Submit official PTE Academic scores of 68 or higher.
  4. Provide evidence of enrollment for two or more years (four or more semesters) in a degree-granting college or university located in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, or New Zealand.
  5. Provide evidence of full-time, paid employment for two or more years at an organization located in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, or New Zealand.

The following are not accepted as proof of English proficiency:

  1. USMLE scores, or any other test of English, except the TOEFL or the IELTS exam.
  2. TOEFL scores under 100 on the internet-based exam or IELTS scores below a 7.0.
  3. Evidence of enrollment at an institution of higher education which lists English as the primary language of instruction, unless that school is in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, or New Zealand.

Detailed instructions for submitting evidence of English proficiency is provided in the application instructions for each program we offer. At minimum, students will have to have official test scores and/or official transcripts.

Visa Process

If you are admitted to Tufts, you will be required to obtain an F-1 visa. You may not enter the United States on your B1/B2 visa, as this type of visa does not allow you to study.

In order to obtain the F-1 visa, students will need to submit the following documents to the Tufts International Center, so that an I-20 (which is the form you will need to present at the U.S. Embassy in your home country for the F-1 visa) can be issued:

  1. Declaration and Certification of Finances and Verification of English Proficiency form (will be sent after you are admitted)
  2. Biography page in your passport (and those of any dependents)
  3. Proof of finances to cover one year’s tuition, fees, and living expenses (an original bank letter or original government sponsorship letter is sufficient)
  4. F-1 transfer form, Copy of F-1 visa, Copy of I-94 card (will be sent to you after you are admitted, if applicable)

Information on arriving, VISAs and frequently asked questions is available through our Tufts International Center.


A few U.S. banks will offer student loans to international students IF THE LOAN IS CO-SIGNED BY A CREDITWORTHY U.S. CITIZEN OR PERMANENT RESIDENT (HOLDER OF A “GREEN CARD”). There may also be restrictions on the type of visa (F-1 or J-1).

Tufts University School of Medicine does not endorse any of the above institutions but has compiled this information as a resource to you.

Financial Aid

International students are not eligible for federal financial aid but are eligible to receive our merit-based partial scholarships.

You may find the following resources helpful to you for outside funding assistance.