Programs: Public Health
Dr. Ashford is a federal government director committed to health equity through innovative person-centered policy, public health programming, and evaluation. She has over 15 years of experience working across multiple sectors including government, academia, and community-based non-profits. Dr. Ashford’s dissertation examined the role of Patient Activation on clinical preventive service utilization among Medicare beneficiaries. She is currently the Deputy Director for the Program Alignment Group at the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) Medicare-Medicaid Coordination Office. She also spent 7 years leading the State and Population Health portfolio at the CMS Innovation Center.
- DrPH, Health Behavior, The George Washington University, Milken Institute School of Public Health
- MPH, Community Oriented Primary Care, The George Washington University, Milken Institute School of Public Health
- BS, Biological Sciences, University of Wisconsin – Parkside
Delivery system reform, payment reform, health equity, population health, social determinants of health, Medicare, Medicaid, chronic disease prevention and management
- Ashford N. Clinical Preventative Service Utilization among Medicare Beneficiaries - An Examination of the Role of Patient Activation. (2020). Ph.D. diss., The George Washington University, ProQuest Dissertation Publishing.
- Burd C, Brown N, Puri P, Sanghavi D. (2017). A Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services Lens Toward Value-Based Preventive Care and Population Health. Public Health Reports; 32(1):6-10 DOI: 10.1177/0033354916681508
- Karmali KN, Lloyd-Jones DM, Berendsen MA, Goff DC, Sanghavi DM, Brown NC, Korenovaska L, Huffman MD. (2016). Drugs for Primary Prevention of Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease: An Overview of Systematic Reviews. JAMA Cardiology; 1:(3): 341-349 DOI: 10.1001/jamacardio.2016.0218
- Hsia AW, Edwards DF, Morgenstern LB, Wing JJ, Brown NC, Coles R, Loftin S, Wein A, KosloskySS, Fatima S, Sanchez BN, Fokar A, Gibbons MC, Shara N, Jayam-Trouth A, Kidwell CS. (2011). Racial Disparities in Tissue Plasminogen Activator Treatment Rate for Stroke: A Population Based Study. Stroke, Journal of the American Heart Association; 42:2217- 2221 DOI: 10.1161/STROKEAHA.111.613828