Recently Enrolled MPH Students

Welcome to Tufts!

Congratulations on choosing to join our community—now let us help you get started on the journey. Enrolling students need to complete a series of steps to confirm their spot and prepare for their first semester. We’ve included a checklist that outlines key parts of the process, and our team is always here to help address any questions or concerns. We’re glad to have you with us.

The content on this page applies to all new students beginning one of the following programs:

  • Online or On-campus Master of Public Health (MPH)
  • Bachelor's/Master of Public Health (BA/MPH)*
  • MS in Nutrition/Master of Public Health (MS/MPH)*
  • Physician Assistant/Master of Public Health (PA/MPH)*

*See additional information below for dual-degree students.

Registering for Classes

The process of assigning academic advisors and registering for classes is managed by the Graduate Programs Registrar's Office.

The Registrar's Office will contact enrolling students within two weeks of receiving their enrollment reply form and tuition deposit via email with information about who will be your faculty advisor and instructions for registering for classes.

In the meantime, the following links can help you prepare for your first meeting with your advisor and selecting your courses.

Degree Audit Worksheets

MPH Elective Course Options

Enrollment Steps & Details

  • After you have replied to our offer of admission and your record is updated, we will email you with instructions for activating your Tufts credentials, including your new email address and your Universal Tufts Login Name (UTLN, or username). You will need to log in to your online application portal and follow the instructions to "Get Your Tufts Email Address."

    We encourage you to activate your credentials as soon as you can and to start to check your new Tufts email frequently, as many offices on campus will use that as their primary way of contacting you. In addition, activating your credentials is required for accessing our Student Information System (SIS), where you will register for classes. 

    Note that it may take 36-48 hours after you have submitted your Enrollment Reply Form for your credential activation to be available. If more than 48 hours has passed since you submitted your forms and you are still unable to activate your credentials, contact the Admissions Office for help at or 617-636-0935.

  • All of the Health Sciences buildings require that you present a Tufts University or Tufts Medical Center identification card upon entry and have it available upon request while you are in the building.

    We strongly encourage all new students to use the Public Safety Picasso website to upload an ID photo prior to their arrival on campus. If you submit your photo this way at least one week before your Orientation date, we will have your ID ready and available for you when you check in. Students not present during orientation should go to the University Police station to be issued an ID.

    If you ever suspect your ID has been lost or stolen, please deactivate your card immediately. You can deactivate a lost or stolen ID through Jumbo Cash. Once deactivated, your ID card can no longer be used to purchase items with JumboCash or to gain access to our lab space.

    To replace a missing or stolen ID, visit You can also contact Tufts ID at or 617-627-3692 and they will provide further instructions. Please note that there is a $30 fee for replacement ID cards. Your replacement ID will operate normally, with JumboCash and lab access intact.

  • All matriculating students are required to provide a final official undergraduate transcript to the Admissions Office.

    A final official transcript indicates that you have earned your undergraduate degree and includes a date of degree conferral. In order to be official, we must receive this transcript from the issuing institution directly and securely, either by physical mail or sent electronically.

    If the transcript you provided when you applied was official, and did include the date your degree was conferred, you do not have to send another copy. International applicants who submitted a foreign transcript evaluation (e.g. WES) indicating that they have earned the equivalent of an undergraduate degree also do not have to supply another final official transcript.

    If you were actively enrolled in your undergraduate program when you applied, or if you only provided our office with unofficial transcripts, you will need to request your final official transcript be sent to our office as soon as possible. If you are an international student who submitted a foreign transcript evaluation (e.g. WES) that did not reflect a date your degree was conferred, you will have to have the institution from which you graduated send us a final official transcript; you do not need to have another foreign transcript evaluation done.

    Final official transcripts should be sent to the following mailing address.

    Tufts University Graduate Programs Admissions Office
    Attn.: Final Official Transcript
    M&V Building, Suite 142
    136 Harrison Avenue
    Boston, MA 02111

    Alternately, official final transcripts may be sent electronically to

  • Current tuition rates are available on individual program pages, along with information about how to calculate the cost of the program (scroll to the bottom of the page):

    Tufts University issues all bills through our online system, eBill. You will be contacted via email by the Health Sciences Bursar’s Office once your eBill account has been activated and your bill has been posted. In order to access and reconcile your bill, you will need to have activated your Tufts credentials and have access to your Tufts email and UTLN (or username). If you have questions about paying your bill, you can contact the Health Sciences Bursar's Office at or 617-636-6551.

  • If you have documented learning or physical disabilities and will need accommodations for your classes, you will need to submit the Request for Disability Support Services form to the Associate Director of Student Programs & Affairs, Tufts School of Medicine Graduate Programs. Visit the webpage linked below for more information on how to submit the form.

    View More Info on Accessibility

    Tufts University is committed to taking steps to ensuring and improving physical and technological access on campus. If you would like to report a physical or technological barrier which restricts any person's access to campus facilities at any Tufts campus, please use this form provided by the Student Accessibility Services Office.

    Report a Physical or Online Barrier

  • Obtain a Local Medical Provider

    The Boston Health Sciences Campus does not have an on-campus student health center so all of your health services will be provided via your local network of health providers. If you currently see additional health professionals who are located out of state (medical specialists, psychiatrists, psychologists, etc.) you should begin choosing similar providers here in Boston, as well.

    Submit Your Immunization Forms

    All students are required by Tufts University and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to supply immunization and testing documentation prior to matriculation. Once students are admitted, the Student Advisory and Health Administration (SAHA) office will send an email with information regarding the requirements and the immunization deadline.

    Student Health Insurance

    The Commonwealth of Massachusetts requires all matriculated students of higher education to participate in a health insurance plan. Students may enroll in the student insurance plan offered by Tufts University, or maintain private coverage as long as it meets or exceeds the minimum state requirements set forth by the Commonwealth.

    More information about enrolling in the University health insurance plan, or waiving this coverage, is available on the Student Advisory and Health Administration (SAHA) website. All students are charged for the University’s health insurance plan. Once a waiver is submitted and approved the charge will be credited on their account.

  • Graduate Housing

    For students in the Boston Health Sciences Campus, the on-campus dormitory located in the Posner Building at 200 Harrison Avenue is offered August-May. View more information about housing at Posner Hall.

    If you need assistance finding off-campus housing, we encourage you to review the Tufts Off Campus Housing website (used by all campuses) or Jump Off Campus (not Tufts affiliated).

    Public Safety

    The Tufts Department of Public and Environmental Safety comprises several organizations responsible for safety, security, and loss prevention on the Medford, Boston, and Grafton campuses. These organizations include the Tufts University Police DepartmentOffice of Environmental Health & Safety, and Tufts Emergency Medical Services (TEMS). The Department is also responsible for several administrative services including the scheduling of police details and building security officers.

    Safety Escort Service

    For your personal safety, the Tufts University Police Department provides vehicle and walking escorts twenty- four hours a day, seven days a week, between campus locations, to the nearby Washington Street Medical Center T stop, the parking garage shuttle that leaves from the corner of Nassau Street and Washington Street, the Travelers Lot, Herald Street Parking Garage, and neighborhoods within these locales, as well as South Station and Boylston Street T stops, when traffic allows.

    Public Transportation

    The Health Sciences Campus is easily accessible from multiple public transportation options, including MBTA buses, subways, and the commuter rail. In partnership with Edenred Commuter Benefit Solutions, Tufts offers students the opportunity to purchase a discounted MBTA pass through their student portal (referred to as "SIS"). Additional information about how to purchase passes will be sent to you after you enroll. Questions about purchasing passes can be directed to the Health Sciences Bursar's Office.

  • The Tufts University International Center (I-Center) will contact new international students directly, shortly after they have indicated that they intend to enroll. The I-Center will assist in the process of obtaining the correct documentation you will need to obtain your authorization to study in a U.S. university, and is available to answer questions about the process.

    If you have additional questions about the immigration process, you should contact your I-Center advisor for help.

Dual-Degree Students

  • As a student enrolled in the dual MS in Nutrition/MPH program, your enrollment process depends on when you applied for and were admitted to the dual degree program. Regardless of which of the situations you are in below, there will be a session unique to the MS/MPH program during Public Health Orientation which we will invite you to attend. More details about this session will be emailed to you.

    If you applied to the MPH and to the Friedman School at the same time and are starting as a brand-new student at Tufts, then you should primarily follow the instructions for enrolling provided to you by the Friedman School. As a new student to Tufts, Friedman is your "home" school for the first three semesters of your program for the purposes of most student services related requirements. However, we will invite you to all Public Health Orientation related events, and those that do not overlap with Friedman Orientation activities, we invite you to attend.

    If you were already enrolled in the Friedman School when you applied to the MPH program, then you have already done many of the things you needed to do for enrollment purposes. However, we will invite you to attend all Public Health Orientation related events, as they will introduce you to the offices and people in the Public Health programs you will work with in the coming months to complete your dual degree program, as well as other Public Health students in the program.

    If you have any questions, feel free to contact Professor Aviva Must, the Public Health Programs faculty advisor for the program.

  • As a student enrolled in the dual Physician Assistant/MPH program, you will begin your program at Tufts by taking MPH courses during your first year of the program. Since you are going to be in classes with the other new MPH students, you should attend the Public Health Orientation this year. Next year, for your first semester of the PA program in January 2024, you will attend the PA Program Orientation.

  • Tufts undergraduate students who apply to and are admitted to the dual bachelor's/master's degree program do not need to attend Orientation until the fall or spring of their first semester as a graduate student (or, the first semester following their graduation from the undergraduate program). If you are still enrolled in the undergraduate program, you do not need to attend Orientation this semester.