Faculty Benefits and Compensation
For University-employed faculty
The Benefits Office in the Human Resources Department of Tufts University serves University-employed benefits-eligible faculty members. All benefits policies of the University may be amended, changed, or discontinued at any time.
Prior to any faculty leave of absence, please contact the Office of Faculty Affairs at email@example.com or 617-636-6631:
For affiliated faculty
Tufts University School of Medicine is pleased to offer our affiliated faculty a number of benefits and discounts for a variety of resources and services.
In order to access many of these services, you will need to activate your account and obtain your Tufts user name (UTLN) and set up your tufts.edu e-mail address. Additionally, some benefits and discounts require your Tufts faculty ID card.
Electronic Books and Journals
Access print and electronic collections, including off-site access to more than 58,000 electronic journals (about 4,200 biomedical) and 28,000 electronic books (about 2000 biomedical) through the Hirsh Health Sciences Library. Affiliated faculty must activate their Tufts account to obtain a username (UTLN) and create a password in order to access electronic resources. Call the Library IT Service Desk at 617-636-2947 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about your username or if you need your password reset.
Access the Tufts University libraries on each of the three campuses with your faculty ID card.
- Boston Campus—Hirsh Health Sciences Library (HHSL) The HHSL, located on the 4th floor of the Medical Education Building, houses collections in the fields of medicine, dental medicine, public health, nutrition, basic sciences and veterinary medicine.
- Medford/Somerville Campus—Tisch Library The Tisch library provides access to thousands of e-resources, a large catalog of CDs and a variety of feature and documentary films as well as publications on an array of subjects. The Tisch Library is located at 35 Professors Row, Medford, MA.
- Grafton Campus—Webster Family Veterinary Medical Library The Webster Family Veterinary Medical Library contains materials on veterinary medicine, conservation medicine, animal care, animal behavior, and animal welfare. The Webster Veterinary Library is located at Franklin M. Loew Veterinary Medical Education Center, 200 Westboro Road, North Grafton, MA.
- Boston Library Consortium (BLC) Through the BLC, you gain borrowing privileges at 19 member libraries. Please inquire at the Library Service Desk at the Hirsh Health Sciences Library (Medical Education Building, 4th floor) for a Boston Library Consortium Card for borrowing at member institutions.
Tufts Information Technology Services
As an affiliated faculty member you have access to Tufts forwarding e-mail, and the Tufts University Science Knowledgebase (TUSK), a dynamic multimedia knowledge management system designed to support faculty and students in teaching and learning. The Library IT Service Desk (Medical Education Building, 5th floor) offers a wide variety of computer-related services free of charge, including hardware troubleshooting and upgrades, and mobile device support.
The Office of Educational Affairs (OEA) staff assists with the design, implementation, and evaluation of courses and educational programs, helps with areas of teaching and assessment, and offers guidance on medical education research and research funding opportunities. Faculty development program venues include both intramural and extramural opportunities. For more information, visit tusk.tufts.edu/view/course/Medical/1891 (TUSK log-in required).
Access to the Office of the Vice Provost's grant writing workshops is available, as well as assistance from the Office of Proposal Development (OPD) for P01, P30 and similar multi-investigator grants. The OPD also offers resources to help faculty develop their grant writing skills and identify sources of funding for research and scholarly activities. For more information, contact the OPD at 617-636-2480 or email@example.com.
Personal Purchases for Tufts Faculty
Apple Store for Education: Affiliated faculty are eligible to receive 10% off laptops and desktops. Additionally, Apple traditionally runs promotions including free iPods or printers during the back to school season. For more information and to order visit the Apple Store.
Software Discounts: Academic Superstore and Journey Ed offer thousands of top hardware and full-version software titles at great discounts exclusive to academic customers. They have partnered with the top technology manufacturers including Adobe, Microsoft, Sibelius, Sony Media Software, and Wacom, to bring excellent service and prices which are available only to students, schools, and teachers. Additionally, you are able to access On the Hub eStore by following these instructions.
Wang YMCA of Chinatown: Join the Wang YMCA of Chinatown, convenient to the Boston campus, and save 10% off the monthly adult or family membership fee as well as 1/2 off the joining fee.
Tufts University Athletic Facilities- Medford/Somerville Campus: Affiliated faculty should go to the Athletics Department on the 3rd floor of the Tisch Sports and Fitness Center, 161 College Avenue to validate their IDs for access to the athletics center. Hours are Monday through Friday 9:30am-4:30pm. Faculty without a Tufts ID must provide documentation of affiliation when coming to the Athletics Department and will then be directed to Campus Police to obtain a recreational pass. Call 617-627-5041 for additional information.
Tufts University Personal Training: Personal training is offered to all Tufts faculty at $100 for 5 Sessions. For additional information, visit the Tufts Personalized Performance Programs website or contact Dan or Jackie at 617-627-2181.
Massage Therapy and Chiropractic Services: Sessions of massage therapy are offered on the Medford/Somerville campus at a cost of $20 per half hour. Chiropractic care is available for $50 for your first visit and $30 for each subsequent visit. All major health insurance plans are accepted for chiropractic care. To make an appointment, or for more information, please visit the web site or call 617-627-3351.
Preferred Home Mortgage Arrangements
Eastern Bank's Professional Advantage Mortgage Group: Loan officers from Eastern Bank work with you to streamline the financing process and make it as easy and convenient as possible. To learn more, call 800-234-7820 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Coldwell Banker Real Estate Advantage Relocation & Moving Services Program: Through the Real Estate Advantage Program you are eligible to receive cash savings on the purchase and sale of your home, reduced closing costs on your mortgage, and competitive rates when moving your household goods. The program is available nationwide for all faculty and staff and their immediate family members, regardless of location or destination. Contact Jen Richtarscik at 781-684-4929 or by email.
Arts, Culture, Sports, etc. - in Boston and Beyond
Many of the greater Boston area museums and cultural venues offer reduced rates to academic institutions. We recommend that you inquire about any discounts available with your Tufts ID card.
- Tufts University Events Your faculty ID provides access to dozens of Tufts events in the arts, music, film, literature and dance. For information about upcoming events, visit events.tufts.edu.
- Tufts University Art Gallery: The exhibitions and related programming at the University Art Gallery on the Medford/Somerville campus are free.
- Revolution Soccer: Receive free parking and discounted prices on season tickets or individual games. To purchase tickets, contact Jillian Bockoven at 508-384-9266 or e-mail email@example.com.
- Dellaria Salons: Save 20% off a cut and blow dry with selected stylists, 10% off spa services (if applicable), and 15% off regular priced retail by presenting a Tufts ID at any of the Dellaria Salon locations.
- Zipcar Zipcar: Short-term car rental system that provides self-service access to a diverse fleet of cars, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Faculty can join Zipcar for only $25 a year plus hourly charges of $7-$11, which covers all insurance, maintenance, and gas. For more information or to sign-up, go to zipcar.com/tufts. MassRIDES: MassRIDES is the Massachusetts Executive Office of Transportation’s statewide travel options program, providing free assistance to our faculty who want to save money and time, and improve their commute. MassRIDES offers trip matching services for local carpools/vanpools. They offer an emergency ride home system too: if you carpool, bike, walk, or use public transit to get to work, register with Emergency Ride Home and you are guaranteed a ride home for free (limit: 4 rides per year).