Student Club Event Planning Guidelines
Please see the below guidelines for information relating to student club event planning.
* Just a reminder that all student club event information must be sent to the email@example.com email before Sunday at noon to be included in the class presidents weekly email.
- Students are not authorized to sign contracts on behalf of Tufts University and may not use their personal credit card for payment of a club activity or event.
- As you are planning events, if a vendor presents a contract/agreement that requires a signature, and/or a deposit/down payment to reserve a space or date, please request a copy of the contract and contact information, and send to firstname.lastname@example.org, along with the details of your event.
- Students must contact the OSA 4+ weeks in advance to make arrangements for any event requiring a contract and/or deposit/down payment.
*This is to protect you as a student in the event of any unforeseen scenario.
- Tufts University has an online room/space reservation system. The link to the system may be found on the OEA webpage. To access the system and to see any Boston room/space available for your meeting/event, via an internet browser, log into http://roomscheduling.tufts.edu with your UTLN and click the "Browse for Space" tab.
Note: At this time, students only have access to browse, but do not have access to actually reserve the space online.
- Students manually complete the Tufts University Health Science Campus Room Request Form and submit via email to Boston_RoomRequest@tufts.edu for Boston room/space requests. Blank copies are available at the student fax area in the Office of Student Affairs (Medical Education Building 4th floor).
- If you are expecting more than 30 people, the event is after hours, and/or non-Tufts School of Medicine guests will be in attendance, complete the Tufts University Health Science Campus Room Request Form and submit the form with the event details for Dean Matias review/approval and a copy to Paula Gagnon.
Event details to include in the write-up:
- Name of event
- Club(s) organizing the event
- Brief summary/purpose of event
- Details of food/caterer
- Who is invited/will be attending event (Tufts School of Medicine, Tufts School of Dental Medicine, student/staff, etc.)
- Expected number of attendees
- Date(s) of event
- Once your room/space reservation is confirmed, be sure to email Jessica.Scott@tufts.edu regarding room set up and food. Please note that there may be extra costs associated with after-hours events.
- Audio/Visual: For the use of a projector, audio recorders, panel microphones, etc. contact Tufts Technology Services A/V (617) 627-3376.
- Facilities (Set up): If you are serving food and require the use of tables & chairs or have a specific room set-up request, contact Jessica Scott (617) 636-6910 a minimum of 48 business/working hours.
- On campus food service is available through Corporate Chefs or Catering with Distinction. Contact Jamie (Corporate Chefs) at email@example.com (617) 636-0540; or Cheryl (Catering with Distinction) at firstname.lastname@example.org (617) 345-4200.
- Be advised that these services – facilities, ed. media, and catering – will be charged according to their rates, including during business and after-hours coverage.
- A Tufts purchasing card (credit card), commonly referred to as a "P-Card", may be used to make purchases over $400. If your club intends to use the P-Card, an email must be sent to Chris.Bishal@tufts.edu with your club's detailed request at least a week in advance of the purchase/event. PLEASE PLAN ACCORDINGLY, as any requests made to use the P-Card with less than a week's notice are up to the discretion of the OSA.
- Blank Business Expense Reimbursement forms (for expenses incurred by the student club and to be paid from the student club funds) are in the OSA student fax area. Within 30 days, the original detailed receipts are required along with the signed and completed Business Expense Reimbursement form, event sign-in sheet, and weekly class email announcement of event.
- For fundraising events where you intend to collect money, please email Lauren.Fielding@tufts.edu at least three weeks in advance to set up a product to sell via eCommerce, an online purchasing system used when selling products. Please contact the OSA if you have any questions regarding the online payment system.
- Note: Clubs can accept cash for bake sales and it can be safely secured in the OSA before it gets deposited to your club account.
SAGE Co-Sponsored Events
If you are part of a Residency Interest Group (ex. Surgery Interest Group, Internal Medicine Interest Group, etc.) and are planning a speaker/panel event, the leader of the group should contact the OSA with information about any events they are having that fall under the heading of career exploration so that they can be co-branded as SAGE events.
- By Sunday at noon the week prior to your event (10-14 days in advance of the actual event), please email Carol "Sue" Poindexter with information about any upcoming events that your club is scheduling. Include the name of your interest group, the date, time, and location of your event, speaker names & titles, and topic, as well as a club contact name and email. When the club is providing food at a SAGE event, please also indicate this in the email. You can expect to hear within 3 days whether or not your event needs to be co-branded.
Tufts Name Use
- Use of the name Tufts and corresponding insignia cannot be use without appropriate permission. If you would like to use the Tufts name on any items, please contact the OSA 4-6 weeks in advance to provide a final proof of design and details of its use.