Programs: Health Communication
- M.Ed., Boston University School of Education
- M.A., Muhlenberg College
- Integrating health literacy and cultural humility training into global health workforce development to eliminate health disparities
- Creating audience-centered health communication using plain language principles to enhanced understanding and facilitate action
- Working with hospitals and health centers to implement the 10 attributes of a health literate organization to improve health communication and healthcare quality
- Applying adult learning theory to public health practice, online instructional design, and teaching with technology
Brugge D, Tracy M, Thayer K, Thayer A, Figueroa N, Kurtz-Rossi S. Developing fact sheets to communicate the risks of traffic pollution to urban Puerto Rican adults. Environmental Justice. 2018;11(1):40-46. https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/abs/10.1089/env.2017.0008
Kurtz-Rossi S, Rikard RV, and McKinney J. Learning from the Field and Its Listserv: Issues that Concern Health Literacy Practitioners. Information Services & Use. 2017;37:291-234. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/317635824_Learning_from_the_Fie...
Kurtz-Rossi S and RA Logan. Why We Need a Health Literacy Association. NAM Perspectives. Discussion Paper, National Academy of Medicine, Washington, DC; 2015. https://nam.edu/perspectives-2015-why-we-need-a-health-literacy-associat...
Abrams MA, Kurtz-Rossi S, Riffenburgh A, Savage B. 2014. Building Health Literate Organizations: A Guidebook to Achieving Organizational Change. UnityPoint Health. Des Moines, IA; 2014.
Kurtz-Rossi S, Valier C, and Smith G. Staying Healthy for Beginners: An English Learner’s Guide to Health Care and Healthy Living. Orlando, FL: Florida Literacy Coalition; 2014.
Kurtz-Rossi S, Duguay P. Health information literacy outreach: Improving health literacy and access to reliable health information in rural Oxford County Maine. JCHI. 2010;14:325-340.